• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Returning to contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Returning to contracting

So, having being permie for the last 3 and a half years following 17 years of contracting I am quitting and going to look for contracts again in January. Obviously this is not the best time, but I did manage to get work during the dotcom bust in 2001 and the financial crisis in 2008, so am hopeful there will be something out there somewhere.

Skillset is .Net and location is London, is there anything much out there in those markets at the moment?

Returning to contracting

Dear crazy man

Most of us worked in Dot com bust and laughed when we only applied for 3 roles before we got one on top doller

Now 2000 top contractors are applying for every role on worst rates inside IR35 with no expenses

Good luck fella

Plus most companies don’t want experienced old guys

They want 20-25 programmers that fit in with the team and don’t really care if they can programme or not

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Last edited by GhostofTarbera; 12 December 2019, 19:49.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
      Dear crazy man

Most of us worked in Dot com bust and laughed when we only applied for 3 roles before we got one on top doller

Now 2000 top contractors are applying for every role on worst rates inside IR35 with no expenses

Good luck fella

Plus most companies don’t want experienced old guys

They want 20-25 programmers that fit in with the team and don’t really care if they can programme or not

Well, we shall see. Maybe all those top notch contractors will find it easier to make money as permies now, leaving the way clear for the rest of us.

I've never been umbrella before, but that seems to be the default now. I'm going to give it a few months anyhow. My previous rule of thumb was that it took 6 weeks on average to get the next contract, and as time goes on you broaden your chances by lowering rate and being prepared to travel further until something comes through.

Comment

Returning to contracting

Originally posted by jazza View Post
        Well, we shall see. Maybe all those top notch contractors will find it easier to make money as permies now, leaving the way clear for the rest of us.

I've never been umbrella before, but that seems to be the default now. I'm going to give it a few months anyhow. My previous rule of thumb was that it took 6 weeks on average to get the next contract, and as time goes on you broaden your chances by lowering rate and being prepared to travel further until something comes through.
        No because there is no permie jobs either (unless your an Indian outsourcer)

Your rule of thumb was valid back in the day, like 8 track of VHS - new world in London these days

Comment

Skillset is .Net and location is London, is there anything much out there in those markets at the moment
          Yeah.. A few tens of thousands equally skilled contractors looking for work with many end to end contracting clients on their resume.

Good luck, you are gonna need it.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jazza View Post
            6 weeks on average to get the next contract
            That was my rule of thumb as well. Now I'm on month 3 of the bench and I've got a new rule of thumb. $500 a day used to be another, now it's a lot closer to £300.

Good Luck mate

Comment

Why are you qutting? Do you have funds to survive? More importantly, have you dipped you toes in to the water?

If not, I think you are about to make a big mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorHardman View Post
                Why are you qutting? Do you have funds to survive? More importantly, have you dipped you toes in to the water?

If you are in a role - agree with above -just start applying for contracts and see if you get anywhere. Put current month as end date on your cv so it looks like you are free.

Market is ridiculously dead for me. 2 relevant roles per week across all job boards. 1 call a week maybe.

Been on the decline for 3-4 years to be fair. My current contract ending soon. Will likely have to go perm if I can get one.

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorHardman View Post

To be honest, if he has no funds to survive after 17 years of contracting, he has to take a hard look in the mirror and reconsider his life choices.
                  Last edited by PCTNN; 13 December 2019, 12:55.

Comment

Have a look at Jobserve for .NET skills. My guess is if you can through in some Azure, you will be a lot more successful.

Comment

Working...
                    X