• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Purpose built platform to find contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JacobMason View Post
    Nope, not in its entirety. Although the most obvious way we cut cost is to have no recruiters.
    "Recruiters" are not an operational expense for your business model. YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND YOUR OPEX.
    ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
    Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Ok, just one of the examples from over the years; this one from a few months ago: Welcome to - That Works For Me

Also, PCG and IPSE a have both tried, or partnering with others, to provide such a service; neither has succeeded. PCG/IPSE had millions to throw at this and even they couldn't get it past my roving eye.

Good-luck to you, but you'll need more than dreams and pixie-dust.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Nope, not in its entirety. Although the most obvious way we cut cost is to have no recruiters.
        In your model, you effectively become an agency.
        That only works if you can generate business. So whether you do that with a salesman, a recruiter, or both, it's still the same basic business model with different monickers applied to the front men.

Forget those who have tried and failed. And ask why the agencies don't do what you suggest to offer a competitive advantage? They don't because there's nothing new to offer and there's no money in it.
        The money is in the margin of providing the resource and you just haven't got that in what you describe.
        See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by wattaj View Post
          Ok, just one of the examples from over the years; this one from a few months ago: Welcome to - That Works For Me
          And another: Hire Freelancers & Find Freelance Jobs Online | Freelancer

And another, now defunct, offering: Contractor Club – Making Agencies Redundant? - Contractor Weekly
          ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
            Not really as India is far cheaper once you've actually specified what you need them to do.
            Have you seen the requirements people put on pph?

I need a Facebook clone. $10 budget, by Friday.

Or "I need an app to do x" where x is some complicated process that they have not defined.

Pph could be good, but for Dev work it's not.

And if you think youre going to charge a normal day rate when you're competing with remote devs in India working for £20 a day.... Well, that's basically why I stopped using it.

Comment

"Recruiters" are not an operational expense for your business model. YOU NEED TO UNDERSTAND YOUR OPEX.
              A typical agency has recruiters, recruiters are staff, staff is an opex.

There's no need to go full caps.

Comment

Originally posted by Snarf View Post
                Have you seen the requirements people put on pph?

I need a Facebook clone. $10 budget, by Friday.

Or "I need an app to do x" where x is some complicated process that they have not defined.

Pph could be good, but for Dev work it's not.

And if you think youre going to charge a normal day rate when you're competing with remote devs in India working for £20 a day.... Well, that's basically why I stopped using it.
                You hit the nail on the head. The examples provided are what we're trying to avoid.

We don't like the idea of contractors bidding for work, instead a rate is advertised and contractors apply for the contract at that rate.

Comment

There really is; and you know that. You should also know, but I doubt that you actually do, that you're missing the point entirely: you have no idea what your operating costs are likely to be or where they will arise.
                  ---

Former member of IPSE.

---

---

Comment

There really is; and you know that. You should also know, but I doubt that you actually do, that you're missing the point entirely: you have no idea what your operating costs are likely to be or where they will arise.
                    I was simply responding to what you said.

At this time there may be costs we may not aware of, but that does not mean that we have no idea. We're still in the discovery phase of an idea that is not fully fleshed out.

We're here to get feedback from the target audience so that we can get it right.
                    Last edited by JacobMason; 18 December 2019, 12:47.

Comment

A typical agency has recruiters, recruiters are staff, staff is an opex.

And how will you call your employees in the extremely unlikely event if you were successful?
                      Staff maybe?

No matter how you twist and turn you're either an agency or you have no business model
                      Слава Україні! Героям слава!

Comment

Working...
                      X