• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How did you do in 2019?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    How are you lot coming up with a running total of days? Other than going through a years worth of invoices or keeping a spreadsheet I can't think how...
    Easy. When you bill by the hour or day, you have to specify how many days you're billing for on the invoice, or with an accompanying timesheet. I keep a running total on the spreadsheet I use as a timesheet. Sometimes my clients as how many days I've billed so far this year. I've got those numbers to hand.

Of course, I could just look at how much I've billed for the year and divide by my daily rate.
    Originally posted by nomadd View Post
    It's called "permie mindset".
    Twaddle
    Real contractors tally paid invoices.
    I do both. I have two goals - financial and billable days. Once I've achieved both, any extra work I only do if I feel like it - it makes it easier to take holidays and time off when I want. Part of the benefit of contracting is being able to take more time off than sad permies on 25 days a year.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      I do both. I have two goals - financial and billable days. Once I've achieved both, any extra work I only do if I feel like it - it makes it easier to take holidays and time off when I want.
      How do you make this work?

Say you achieve your 2 goals halfway through your contract, what do you do? Just leave mid contract and that's that?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Assuming a constant rate, of course...
        and that you have not invoiced expenses

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
          How many days have you billed in 2019?
          Four months work (68 days), eight months (and counting) not working
          Last edited by DeludedKitten; 17 December 2019, 11:07.
          I'm not fat, I'm just fluffy.

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
            How are you lot coming up with a running total of days? Other than going through a years worth of invoices or keeping a spreadsheet I can't think how...
            Put the project in FreeAgent. Put the time in FreeAgent so that I can generate an invoice. Look at the project and it tells me.

So for the contract that I had from August 2017 to January 2018 (the one I happened to open just now in FreeAgent), I billed 96 days.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
              How do you make this work?

Say you achieve your 2 goals halfway through your contract, what do you do? Just leave mid contract and that's that?
              As I said:

any extra work I only do if I feel like it
              I usually do. But the day goal is 200 days. I can usually hit my financial goal in 150 days.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Assuming a constant rate, of course...
                And no expenses.

Comment

Reading some of these comments it's no wonder contractors have a reputation for being money grabbing!

I've worked roughly seven months out of 12 this year & although it's impossible to measure success, I would consider that a success for me as I was able to take three months off at the start of the year without finances being an immediate worry.
                  If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
                    Reading some of these comments it's no wonder contractors have a reputation for being money grabbing!
                    Do you class that as bad or good?
                    I have no shame about the fact that I'm mercenary. My clients know it and know that they can rely on me to deliver.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                      Do you class that as bad or good?
                      I have no shame about the fact that I'm mercenary. My clients know it and know that they can rely on me to deliver.
                      Well for me I'd say bad. Only because I would take time over money any day. Like I said though, it's impossible to measure success so if your measure is based on how much cash you have in the bank then that's fine for you.

Btw, my clients also know they can rely on me to deliver. I'm not taking time off at the drop of a hat. But if I have the choice of working just for the money or having a day off, then I'm having the day off!
                      If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Working...
                      X