• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

QDOS Contract failed CEST online test - where did I go wrong?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Where is the spreadsheet mudskipper posted a few weeks ago?

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    CEST matrix - Google Sheets

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      So I'm correct in saying that the OP would have to incur costs before they are paid by the client then?

I think the point of those questions is to help demonstrate financial risk, e.g. shelling out on a month's worth of accommodation and travel only to find out you don't get paid because they've used you for a month's free consultancy and good luck getting the money off them

Wooah hold on a minute. Check the wording.

Will you have to fund any other costs before your client pays you?
      Worker’s financial risk
      This can include non-commuting travel or accommodation, or external business premises for this work only.

Comment

Originally posted by Manic View Post
        Wooah hold on a minute. Check the wording.

Will you have to fund any other costs before your client pays you?
        Worker’s financial risk
        This can include non-commuting travel or accommodation, or external business premises for this work only.
        Beautifully inexact as ever...

"Non-commuting" is dependent on whether or not the gig is inside or outside IR35: inside means it is commuting, outside means it isn't...

What I think they are asking is "Have you add to pony up for materials, (in the widest sense) or equipment or tools or premises or relocation costs specifically to undertake this particular engagement". Since most of us already have working resources, the answer is probably no, but if you have to buy a particular toolset such as a specific compiler or something, then the answer would be yes. Where that leads the CEST decision is a whole other question...

However I still would argue that out here in the real world and not HMRC's Neverneverland that any operating business will have a contingency for such overhead costs and will aim to recover them from their fees. As such they are not intrinsic to one engagement but rather as a cost of doing business. Obviously that is my interpretation, others may well treat each gig as a separate financial transaction in its entirety.
        Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I just went through the test again but changed the substitution answer to "Client will accept the substitute if suitably qualified etc." and it passed.

Why you are getting this result
          Your answers told us:
          your client has accepted, or would accept, a substitute
          you or your business will have to fund costs before your client pays you
          This suggests you are working on a business to business basis.

Thanks for the help and advice all.

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Beautifully inexact as ever...

"Non-commuting" is dependent on whether or not the gig is inside or outside IR35: inside means it is commuting, outside means it isn't...

What I think they are asking is "Have you add to pony up for materials, (in the widest sense) or equipment or tools or premises or relocation costs specifically to undertake this particular engagement". Since most of us already have working resources, the answer is probably no, but if you have to buy a particular toolset such as a specific compiler or something, then the answer would be yes. Where that leads the CEST decision is a whole other question...

However I still would argue that out here in the real world and not HMRC's Neverneverland that any operating business will have a contingency for such overhead costs and will aim to recover them from their fees. As such they are not intrinsic to one engagement but rather as a cost of doing business. Obviously that is my interpretation, others may well treat each gig as a separate financial transaction in its entirety.
            Isn't this about whether you pay for whatever "tools" you need or if they are simply supplied by your client? the latter would of course push you more into "inside" determination, although I'd argue here as most projects "provide" all the kit as it's part of the release when the job is done.

Comment

Originally posted by bigrob View Post
              I just went through the test again but changed the substitution answer to "Client will accept the substitute if suitably qualified etc." and it passed.

Your answers told us:

Good news and well done. Others take note...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                Good news and well done. Others take note...
                Originally posted by bigrob View Post

Your answers told us:

Assuming client agrees to the unfettered right of substitution of course.

Comment

All well and good when on boarding you. I wonder what they would really say when you pull it.

Do they really understand what is involved and do you. How do you think providing a substitute works. Might sound daft but all bet a vast majority of contractors don't get it.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Manic View Post
                    Assuming client agrees to the unfettered right of substitution of course.
                    Well yes, stating the bleedin' obvious. If the reality doesn't match the results, HMRC will disregard CEST anyway.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      All well and good when on boarding you. I wonder what they would really say when you pull it.

Do they really understand what is involved and do you. How do you think providing a substitute works. Might sound daft but all bet a vast majority of contractors don't get it.
                      And for those that don't, this post was made recently
                      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                      X