• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reed - opinions?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the comments everyone, looks like its at least partially down to me having little experience with agents that is driving this.

It really grates that they want so much personal info for a B2B relationship though.

As for references, Ill tell them who to contact but they might have a bit of fun with that - Previous client : Carilion, before that it was a small company based in Singapore & Australia who I know got bought out and no longer exist.

The thing that pisses me off about the references bit... Reed didn't put me forward for this role, they have no interest in verifying that my CV is accurate, if I've lied (I've not) they have no liability anyway.

Guess its like someone else said above, they will be going off a script.

Ill get the contract sent off to QDOS now and see what hilarity ensues when I start asking for the contract to be amended, I'm personally named on it as well as my company so its definitely getting at least one amendment.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
      For references you just need to give details of the agencies you worked through. They can confirm the dates.
      Agree with this, however, in cases where you've been direct, they'll need the name/contact details of your direct co. - I just email them to ask if they're happy to provide a ref for the period I worked with them. It's a pain in the A for them I'm sure, but most are happy to provide. If you can give them a heads up on what they might be asked to provide that always helps & speeds things up, I've found.

Re; physical ID verification at agents' offices, well there's some inconsistency on this one, in my experience. I've only ever had to do this once, & that was a few years ago through Hays. The rest were just a case of emailing copy of ID through (scanned copy of passport/utility bill/licence type stuff), or uploading the same onto agent portal.

Never worked through Reed so can't comment.
      Clarity is everything

Comment

I've used Reed before, but then there's Reed and there's Reed.. There are so many sub-companies and divisions of Reed that Im not surprised they operate differently. In some cases they will actually compete with each other or try to poach you from a gig with another part of Reed. Anything for a slice of commission.

My last gig with Reed around 5 years back:
        No face to face meeting
        All documents sent via email including passport. They wanted more than just a photo page but it was easy enough.
        References were just standard PDF letters from previous agents also sent via email.
        Contract review was fine.
        They paid on time.

Comment

Having now read the contract I can see an argument brewing.

Bear in mind:

I found this role via a direct contact at the client.

I arranged interviews and negotiated terms with the client.

Reed only became involved after there was an offer on the table and (in my opinion and that of my contact at the client) by mistake as it was meant to be a direct engagement.

Bearing all of that in mind... There's a non-solicitation clause in the contract.

I think I have grounds for that to be removed as reed played no part in this... We will see what they say.

Comment

Phfftf. This is nothing. I was once at a client and they went to a single sole agency. Agency contacts me and says Im being 'transferred' over to them.

Agency then demands 5 years previous references. I say not getting them, Ive been on site for a couple of years. But you must, they say, it's our T&Cs!

So I had a word with the client's contract resourcer and told them the agenc was being an arse asking for references when we've been on site. He agreed, said agency was being arseholes and the process should beseemless for on site contractors. No more request for referees.

OP's problem is they assumed no agency in the loop. Hope they agreed the daily rate was that paid to him and not before the agency creamed some off the top!
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

If an agent wants sight of my id, they are welcome to come to me for the meeting. There is no way I'd go to their office at my expense.

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
                If an agent wants sight of my id, they are welcome to come to me for the meeting. There is no way I'd go to their office at my expense.
                They've got a legal requirement to fulfill, you can't be bothered to spend a bit of time to secure a gig worth tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds. I wonder who will win that stand off.

At least you can be smug you didn't cave while on the bench.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I got around the ID verification thing by using the Post Office service. You take your passport to the Post Office and the dude signs a paper to say it's you.

It is ******* farcical but it was only a few quid and got me the gig as it ticked the agent's requirements.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    They've got a legal requirement to fulfill, you can't be bothered to spend a bit of time to secure a gig worth tens if not hundreds of thousands of pounds. I wonder who will win that stand off.

At least you can be smug you didn't cave while on the bench.
                    I accept it may not work for some, but I have never gone out of my way or incurred any expense in providing ID to agencies. All part of the negotiation process.
                    Each of us can only speak of our own experiences and that is mine.

Comment

I have worked for reed numerous times, I have never incurred any expense. Popped into a branch, who opened early, on my way to the contract.

Comment

Working...
                      X