• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Entry level jobs in data science

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Get a permie job that will offer you the ability to get training and gain some experience. Stick with it for a couple of years and then have a look at what's left of contracting.
    Permie? Correct me if i'm wrong but it's very unlikely unless he has experience. Nobody seems to be handing out entry level perm jobs like that anymore. More than likely gonna be an ftc,temp or internship role just to get the foot in the door. Similar to what graduates have to do.

Comment

Originally posted by GmartSuy View Post
      Permie? Correct me if i'm wrong but it's very unlikely unless he has experience. Nobody seems to be handing out entry level perm jobs like that anymore. More than likely gonna be an ftc,temp or internship role just to get the foot in the door. Similar to what graduates have to do.
      Yeah but that's not going to give you the experience you need to secure roles against highly skilled and experienced people. You've got to try get in somewhere you can grown in to the role and get enough experience over time. Yes it's not easy but you need solid experience to then sell your skills to the highest bidder.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I work with a "data scientist" he has remedial level maths and knows how to work a pivot table in excel. I shouted "I have got an honours in mechanical" at him once. Still feel a bit bad about that.

Comment

Originally posted by RasputinDude View Post
          Entry level jobs in data science? Go back to university, get a PhD in a rigorous scientific discipline and then do a few years post-doc research where you are training some sort of neural network and have a heavy understanding and use of statistics. Publish a few papers.

My experience is that a team of data scientists made up of biologists, chemists and physicists with one or two statisticians is optimal.

Don't think that it's just few big SQL queries, it's not. You'll need to be programming (albeit in something like python) and you will need to understand how to use R and (for some reason) LaTeX.

And yes, a lot of the time it is tedious and frustrating as there can be massive holes in the data, the populations behave in strange unpredictable ways that completely invalidate your hypotheses and you still have to make sense of what the data is telling you and your requests to run more experiments are denied because you have had long enough and marketing need to do some crap or other
          They don't, they behave entirely predictably. I have made a fortune from that.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
            They don't, they behave entirely predictably. I have made a fortune from that.
            Touché. What I should have written is "Populations don't always behave the way that you expect which means that you are missing something"

Comment

Originally posted by seeker View Post
              Hi
              I am a working professional and looking to get entry level data science jobs (python, sql, machine learning). Can someone suggest what would be a good approach to get a hit. thanks
              Where I used to work might hire you if you want a permie role.

PM me if you are interested and I will give the HR director a shout.
              "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Working...
              X