• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Entry level jobs in data science

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Entry level jobs in data science

Hi
    I am a working professional and looking to get entry level data science jobs (python, sql, machine learning). Can someone suggest what would be a good approach to get a hit. thanks

How much experience of data science do you have?

Comment

Get a permie job that will offer you the ability to get training and gain some experience. Stick with it for a couple of years and then have a look at what's left of contracting.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by seeker View Post
        Hi
        I am a working professional and looking to get entry level data science jobs (python, sql, machine learning). Can someone suggest what would be a good approach to get a hit. thanks
        Do you have a genuine interest in data science? Or are you looking to catch the next wave of opportunity?

If it is the latter I’d have another think about it because I’ve paired with real data scientists doing that for a day job and to be honest I found it quite tedious.

It is crunching data and applying statistics to come up with insights. If that floats your boat then there are some remote mscs in data science if you want an intro without giving up the day job.

Make the move quick though because there are going to be hundreds of DS grads in the next few years. What they are all going to do God only knows.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
          If it is the latter I’d have another think about it because I’ve paired with real data scientists doing that for a day job and to be honest I found it quite tedious.
          I am a data scientist. And most people find what I do incredibly tedious. But it is highly stressful. One wrong move and everything falls apart.Attention to detail is critical.

We are the biggest supplier of aggregated financial data. And just taken on a new partnership dramatically increasing our scope.

Comment

I wouldn't call myself a data scientist, as that implies a level of competence/training I don't have, but I do a fair amount of number crunching and data analysis that lots of people make decisions on.

It can be tedious interspersed with eureka moments and genuine thanks from people who use the output and see a real difference.

As BP says, attention to detail is crucial. As is the ability to understand the data and what it means. People don't like to see numbers, they want to see what the number means, what the trend is, a suggestion of what they need to do to make the number better. So, for some industries, it's not enough to know the coding side, you also have to know what it is you're looking at and whether the values you're seeing are good/bad/indifferent.

This guy, Hans Rosling, is a master at data visualisation and interpretation. But don't go thinking he knocked up that presentation after an afternoon in the pub...

Comment

A friend of mine has taken this track

Having worked as a BA, his route to it was to complete a Masters in DS. The Masters landed him an internship and that got him a full time job.

There are now lots of grads with a Data Science or Machine learning background, either doing those subjects directly, or affiliated courses (Comp Sci, Engineering, Physics) and in his option it has become a bit oversaturated.

Just be aware of what you are getting into, it's not a magic bullet solution

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                I am a data scientist. And most people find what I do incredibly tedious. But it is highly stressful. One wrong move and everything falls apart.Attention to detail is critical.

We are the biggest supplier of aggregated financial data. And just taken on a new partnership dramatically increasing our scope.
                At least the bar to entry is very low.

Comment

Entry level jobs in data science? Go back to university, get a PhD in a rigorous scientific discipline and then do a few years post-doc research where you are training some sort of neural network and have a heavy understanding and use of statistics. Publish a few papers.

My experience is that a team of data scientists made up of biologists, chemists and physicists with one or two statisticians is optimal.

Don't think that it's just few big SQL queries, it's not. You'll need to be programming (albeit in something like python) and you will need to understand how to use R and (for some reason) LaTeX.

And yes, a lot of the time it is tedious and frustrating as there can be massive holes in the data, the populations behave in strange unpredictable ways that completely invalidate your hypotheses and you still have to make sense of what the data is telling you and your requests to run more experiments are denied because you have had long enough and marketing need to do some crap or other

Comment

My experience in big companies is that the data scientists are told the expected results and are asked to produce a model that shows that result.

Comment

Working...
                    X