• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

April off payroll

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

April off payroll

I have a meeting Monday about my clients plans for contractors in April and would welcome some input from other CUK contractors

1. If Paye is deducted from my invoice what do other forum members feel should be the % uplift in day rate to compensate?

2. Is there any insurance out there to protect my client and I if we jointly agree to stay outside IR35. My contract and working practices are outside But e.g. If hmrc arbitraly decide the contract is inside IR35. I already have IPSE but this would not cover any liability for the client. Is there any insurance I could suggest to my client around this please?

3 in the unlikely event of going perm I reckon I'd be looking at 30% on top of my current day rate - does that sound OK? I don't really see perm as an option though having been a professional contractor for 13 years now

Thanks for any input

1. There is no invoice if you are paye

2. No.

3. Good luck with finding rate +30% in perm world. They aren't like for like so not going to be many situations where people can dictate rates like that. We are expensive resources as contractors so not likely to be even more expensive as a perm. Nothing wrong with trying but be prepared for bad news.
    Don't forget the problems around going perm in a role that was contract before.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

2. IR35 Shield - Quickly assess and prove your IR35 compliance

This isn't a recommendation but the above claims to be insurance-backed.

Comment

Originally posted by silverlight1 View Post
        3 in the unlikely event of going perm I reckon I'd be looking at 30% on top of my current day rate - does that sound OK? I don't really see perm as an option though having been a professional contractor for 13 years now
        Not sure how you came up with that figure, or why you think an employer would hire you for it.

...and it's back to the usual "argument" about how to calculate what someone is worth in a completely different scenario.

Questions:
        1. If you didn't invoice any client for 30 days a year, would you still get paid by the clients for those days?
        2. If you were ill for 5 days a year, would you still get paid by the clients?
        3. How much do your clients directly pay into your pension?
        4. How much do your clients directly pay for your healthcare?
        5. Is your client's default position that you will stay on working for them, or is it that your contract finishes and then is up for discussion, if there is a need for you?
        6. If you work for a single client for more than 6 months, how much redundancy pay do you get?
        ...and finally...
        7. What is the market rate for a permanent employee in your field?
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I have a meeting Monday about my clients plans for contractors in April and would welcome some input from other CUK contractors

1. If Paye is deducted from my invoice what do other forum members feel should be the % uplift in day rate to compensate?

2. Is there any insurance out there to protect my client and I if we jointly agree to stay outside IR35. My contract and working practices are outside But e.g. If hmrc arbitraly decide the contract is inside IR35. I already have IPSE but this would not cover any liability for the client. Is there any insurance I could suggest to my client around this please?

Thanks for any input
          1. Why would they uplift your rate? 95% of contractors are getter zero uplift (unless you have specific skills they can’t get)

2. Not yet

3. Lol very funny, think a 30% down lift for ball park

If client declares you inside on Monday, then you have much bigger issues if HMRC come after you for time already spent on client site (ipse insurance won’t cover you if you are happy enough to work on same contract inside IR35)

Get client to issue you a SOW and keep you outside IR35

Please let us know how it go’s

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
            If client declares you inside on Monday, then you have much bigger issues if HMRC come after you for time already spent on client site (ipse insurance won’t cover you if you are happy enough to work on same contract inside IR35)
            Is this only valid should he continue to work at the same place post the Monday meeting or is it a case that the role was always inside and therefore if HMRC were to do a retro then he'd have to cough up? Seems like we all want to avoid having a similar meeting only for our clients to bail on us and blanket IR35 just because it's the easiest thing for them to do. Better to leave on your own accord before any questions are asked of the role...

Are any of you leaving your clients on February 29th (i.e. for those that get invoiced month in arrears) and then looking forward to a two month break, possibly summer and then starting a search again?
            Last edited by Dhrucku; 3 January 2020, 10:48.

Comment

No invoice. BUT 35% minimum. More if you've currently got travel/hotel costs...
              Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                1. Why would they uplift your rate? 95% of contractors are getter zero uplift (unless you have specific skills they can’t get)

2. Not yet

3. Lol very funny, think a 30% down lift for ball park

Get client to issue you a SOW and keep you outside IR35

Please let us know how it go’s

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
                Yep agreed. 30% uplift from contract rate to perm salary! Never gonna happen EVER.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dhrucku View Post
                  Are any of you leaving your clients on February 29th (i.e. for those that get invoiced month in arrears) and then looking forward to a two month break, possibly summer and then starting a search again?
                  Out of interest, when you say leave on 29th Feb, do you mean hand in your notice on that day, or that day being your last official working day at the client?

I am on a two week notice period and if the worst happens, I plan to hand notice in on 19th Feb with the last day being 3rd March. Last invoice raised on 4th March paid on 3rd April (30 days after last invoiced raised).

Comment

Originally posted by CompoundOverload View Post
                    Out of interest, when you say leave on 29th Feb, do you mean hand in your notice on that day, or that day being your last official working day at the client?

I am on a two week notice period and if the worst happens, I plan to hand notice in on 19th Feb with the last day being 3rd March. Last invoice raised on 4th March paid on 3rd April (30 days after last invoiced raised).
                    5th April being the cut off, extremely tight there sir.

Comment

Working...
                    X