Pitched too low? Pitched too low?
Posts 1 to 10 of 10

Fingers like lightning

Default Pitched too low?

Hello peeps,

Had a call with an agent and they asked me what my rate is. I told them but thinking about the role I think that I've left money on the table (it's a niche role). I've got the representation email from the agent, asking me to confirm sole representation and also the day rate. What's the best way to proceed? Reply to email and do rate negotiation after I get the role (as I am writing this, this is the option that makes the most sense) or does this sole representation email have any legal weight?

Over to you...

Double Godlike!

Depends what makes you think you've pitched it too low. "I've taken a closer look at accommodation costs in the area and had to revise my rate" for example.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Prof Cunning @ Oxford Uni

Do you think you pitched yourself too low because you know the market rate for your skills is far higher?
    Did you quote a rate that is similar to what you got paid in your last role?
    Moderation means Moderation
    Strong and Stable Moderation

Get Moderation Done - Unleash Moderator Potential

Fingers like lightning

I just compared it to my last role, common or garden BA, this new role has an element to it which means that the pool of candidates will be greatly reduced.

Contractor Among Contractors

Personally I'd want the rate agreed before interview though I know that could result in being dropped. Changing after winning at interview also carries risk, it could annoy the client and agent unless it was due to a counter offer from another prospect or the work was significantly more involved than you expected. That said, some shady agents can try to change the rate after interview.

This is just my view but at the end of the day its up to you and I'd hate to be the reason you lost the gig.

Nothing is legal by the way until you've accepted an offer, and then you should make any offer acceptance subject to paperwork to protect yourself further. Everything is still negotiable until you sign and return the contract.

Super poster

Lesson for next time: always say your rate is dependent on the role and its location. Get as much info up front as you can about the work and still say that the rate is dependent on what you hear at interview.

You could caveat the representation email by saying the rate is an estimate and will be confirmed once the role has been discussed with the client.

Contractor Among Contractors

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    Lesson for next time: always say your rate is dependent on the role and its location. Get as much info up front as you can about the work and still say that the rate is dependent on what you hear at interview.

You could caveat the representation email by saying the rate is an estimate and will be confirmed once the role has been discussed with the client.
    Pm normally has a very skinny rate range and if someone’s suddenly asks for more after interview he may lose out to cheaper guy

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Super poster

Quote Originally Posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Pm normally has a very skinny rate range and if someone’s suddenly asks for more after interview he may lose out to cheaper guy

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    I don't disagree. It's all about giving yourself wiggle room if you realise you made a mistake

Godlike

Tune it up half a fret?
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

My post count is Majestic

If you were dodgy you could just say "I told you X on the phone but you've put Y"
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Quote Originally Posted by vetran View Post
    Urine is quite nourishing