• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Please help with registered address query

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please help with registered address query

Hi, I'm hoping someone might be able to help on here.

I have a limited company that has never traded that I'm looking to dissolve.

My home address currently shows on companies house as the correspondence and registered address.

I want to change this for security reasons (violent ex-partner). I know it will always remain on the incorporation document (bummer, didn't know when I incorporated, thought I could just change it when set up), but at least it won't show everywhere.

If I bought a registered office address (one of those ~£10 a month ones) and then dissolved the company, do I need to keep paying for the office address... forever?

In other words, if I dissolved the company and then informed the supplier of the office address I no longer wanted to use their services, would they say I need to tell companies house for some reason (legal, other)? If that was the case the only alternative I can see would be to use my home address again.

I'd personally be happy for all subsequent mail to be returned to sender (as company never traded, never opened bank account etc. so imagine most of it will be junk - HMRC have my home address for anything tax related).

Hope I've made sense. I've tried ringing a few but I seem to be angering them. It might be the way I'm asking the question.

Hope someone can help!
    Soph

Hi Soph,
    Sorry to hear about your situation, but I'm not sure how changing the address is going to make any difference. It will just be another entry at Companies House. The original address will still be there.

What were you hoping to achieve by changing the address, particularly if you are going to dissolve the company anyway?
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

They have an option for this.

Stop Companies House from providing your home address - GOV.UK

First stop, as always, is to actually speak to the entity you want to deal with and see what they say. It can't be a unique situation.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        Hi Soph,
        Sorry to hear about your situation, but I'm not sure how changing the address is going to make any difference. It will just be another entry at Companies House. The original address will still be there.

What were you hoping to achieve by changing the address, particularly if you are going to dissolve the company anyway?

Hi, thanks for your reply.

The reason I want to change it is because at the moment, if you type my name into google, my company and address comes up on dozens of websites on the first page. These websites (192.com, localbusiness.com etc.) seem to download a list of directors (and their details) from companies house and upload them to their own sites.

If I changed to a registered address, when these companies next do their refresh, the registered address would appear rather than my home address.

I agree that this wouldn't put off someone who was DETERMINED to find my address, but it would stop it being the first thing that comes up on google. I feel like I'm tempting fate by making it so readily accessible. It could be enough to mask my address from someone searching for it on, for instance, a drunken impulse, and that could be enough. My home address would only be searchable if the person proceeded to trawl through historic documentation on companies house, which they might not think to do.

Hope the above answers your question.

Cheers,
        Soph

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          They have an option for this.

Stop Companies House from providing your home address - GOV.UK

First stop, as always, is to actually speak to the entity you want to deal with and see what they say. It can't be a unique situation.
          Thanks for you reply.

There is an option to remove the correspondence address which I have done, but the registered office address cannot be removed - only replaced.

Cheers,
          Soph

Comment

Hi all,
            Just wondering if anyone (not using their accountant's free address offering) can recommend decent companies that provides registered/directors service addresses. I thought is was going to be easy as just doing a google search but it appears there are a lot of crappy ones about.

Comment

Working...
            X