• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Consultant/Secondment Role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consultant/Secondment Role

Hi folks,

Gigs ending March and I've just been offered a permanent role via a contact at a US-UK Consulting firm (FS; non-IT role).

They've said that'll I'll be in their secondment team, so I was just wondering if anyone has any experience of working under this model & pros/cons? The partner said I'll be on secondments for 4-8 weeks at a time, and in any gaps I'll be doing in-house consulting projects.

Thanks!

That sounds quite cool. You get to dip in and out of various parts of the business / teams and consequently will learn a heck of a lot more about how they operate than sitting at one desk for years. I suspect that also mean you'll get to see lots of their client base, very handy for making contacts should you go back into contracting when the dust has settled...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      That sounds quite cool. You get to dip in and out of various parts of the business / teams and consequently will learn a heck of a lot more about how they operate than sitting at one desk for years. I suspect that also mean you'll get to see lots of their client base, very handy for making contacts should you go back into contracting when the dust has settled...
      Indeed, looks attractive. I guess one concern is if you get canned if projects dry up (its a small-ish consultancy), as a permie will look horrendous on the CV. But I guess that can happy anywhere. I'll only be one of 3 secondees (so pretty safe); rest of the firm work on the core consulting.

Was also told, 95% of clients are in central london so no crazy travels beyond the odd trip up to Brum for a few clients

Comment

Yep, very tasty. I'd go for it.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Nobody asking about the financial aspect?
          I lot of them have 1/3 of the budget allocated for the people, not leaving much to work with and usually an unnecessary level of management(sometimes and impediment).
          But it depends, diversity of work, relaxed expenses policy, good connections in the business.
          Sometimes managers bring consultancies in when they have a project that is very likely to fail and don’t want to have that on them. Or the role has a lot of turnover and don’t want it on their books.
          But maybe again i am too cynical for my own good.
          And with this market...
          Last edited by GigiBronz; 15 January 2020, 17:53.

Comment

Working...
          X