• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

TOGAF course provider recommendation

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
    I noticed that the Microsoft Azure Fundamentals course is £1795 at knowledge academy. I've seen it much cheaper elsewhere, usually around £500 - £700. One place, Worldwide IT Training was even offering it for £99. I called and asked why it was so cheap and they told me it was in an auditorium with 60 people.
    Eek! That's a huge cohort! Every course I've done has been 15 people max. My Lean Six Sigma Green Belt was just three of us (two on the morning I couldn't get out of bed with the worst hangover in the world, the night after I met HWMBO).

QA are pretty good at running courses even if they don't have huge take-up; I've done 90% of my training with them as I like their facilities at St. Katharine's Docks.

Used to be that you could get discount via IPSE but none of the courses I want to do are on the discount list.

Comment

A quick note on Knowledge Academy: I bought access to their entire on-line course catalogue for £1500 (ex exam fees). It's well worth negotiating with them.
      ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
      Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

Originally posted by OneManBand View Post
        Are all the approved course providers more or less the same in terms of quality?

I have so far browsed these two... costs are comparable:
        1. Architecture Center - Consultancy and training services of Enterprise Architecture
        2. ATE Enterprises | Enterprise Architecture TOGAF

Anybody has any recommendation based on (recent) personal experience?

I want to get both foundation and practitioner out of the way in one go.

Thanks.

There's no need for a course provider.

I bought a couple of books, studied them and arranged the exams independently and successfully.

I assume the this is some exercise in box-ticking credentialism. If you're an an experienced professional you won't learn much and in addition it's mind numbingly boring.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
          I noticed that the Microsoft Azure Fundamentals course is £1795 at knowledge academy. I've seen it much cheaper elsewhere, usually around £500 - £700. One place, Worldwide IT Training was even offering it for £99. I called and asked why it was so cheap and they told me it was in an auditorium with 60 people.
          Probably also because they've got to compete with free the online training from Microsoft.
          Azure fundamentals learning path - Learn | Microsoft Docs

Comment

Originally posted by Hapax View Post

I bought a couple of books, studied them and arranged the exams independently and successfully.

I assume the this is some exercise in box-ticking credentialism. If you're an an experienced professional you won't learn much and in addition it's mind numbingly boring.
            Have to disagree with you there. For me this is one certification where I felt the classroom training was essential. Perhaps there is a good book out there, but I'm glad I took the course with a good trainer.
            The topics are not exactly what you 'learn on the job'. Even if you think you're a good architect, if you don't come from an EA background and are looking to move into this area you should learning a formal methodology. In practice you take what you need from TOGAF for the situation. I use what I've learned all of the time and its served my architecture career well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hapax View Post

Yes, it's just the piece of paper that I'm after. I am aware that the actual TOGAF material is soul-destroying, and I know some TOGAF certified architects that I personally wouldn't trust with a box of Lego, let alone a large IT system.

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
                Probably also because they've got to compete with free the online training from Microsoft.
                Azure fundamentals learning path - Learn | Microsoft Docs
                And also the £20 course on Udemy.

Comment

My partner is delivering a TOGAF 9.2 levels 1 and 2 residential public course in 8-11 March in Wyboston Lakes, St Neots. Exam will be at the end of the course. He gets good reviews for his courses and, if you're really lucky, he'll use the project I'm working on as an example of how not to do EA

It's via Firebrand and is on their website now. PM me if you're interested and want a discount code. I don't have it yet but will have it by Monday/Tuesday. Full price is £3,275 +VAT. Includes accommodation and all meals.

BTW - Firebrand advertise the course as being 9-11 March and don't tell you until you go to book that you have to attend something on the evening of the 8th.

TOGAF 9.2 Training & Certification | 3 Days | Firebrand Training

Comment

Originally posted by OneManBand View Post
                    Yes, it's just the piece of paper that I'm after. I am aware that the actual TOGAF material is soul-destroying, and I know some TOGAF certified architects that I personally wouldn't trust with a box of Lego, let alone a large IT system.
                    Fair enough if you need it to nail some role. However you should be aware that the target market is very, very small and badly paid.

If you simply want to burnish your architecture credibility through certification there is no way the that TOGAF could be recommended in 2020.
                    You would be much better off spending the time and money on AWS certifications. The work is interesting; the demand is high and well paid; they will still be valuable for five years. In other words all the things that TOGAF is not.

Comment

I did mine with the Knowledge Academy in 2013(!). Was very straightforward. The tutor wasn't fantastic but it was TOGAF early days and no-one had much direct experience back then. Pay attention in the course and you'll pass.
                      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Working...
                      X