Holiday request Holiday request
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 51

Thread: Holiday request

  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    7

    Default Holiday request

    Hi all, whats the best way to handle this situation?

    I started contracting last October and dropped in to a nice job, good hours, good money and good staff. Unfortunately it was only a going to be a temporary contract for 6-8 weeks. However, work load has increased and they have asked me to stay for at least another 6 months.
    The problem I have is I booked a family holiday last year for the end of July, I didn't tell the company as I wasn't planning on still being there, but because of this recent change I put in a holiday request but they have refused it due to another team member booking the same dates.
    I don't want to risk losing this contract by saying I'm taking it anyway but I cant cancel/change the holiday.
    Any suggestions on how I should handle it?

    Dan

  2. #2

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    19,938

    Default

    You are describing a permie in a permie job. We aren’t PermieUK. Go on the holiday anyway. If they fire you*, so what? You’re a contractor, you’ll find another contract.

    This is what being a contractor is all about.

    *I’ll bet they won’t.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make myself look wise and well read."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

  3. #3

    Banned


    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danwins224 View Post
    Hi all, whats the best way to handle this situation?

    I started contracting last October and dropped in to a nice job, good hours, good money and good staff. Unfortunately it was only a going to be a temporary contract for 6-8 weeks. However, work load has increased and they have asked me to stay for at least another 6 months.
    The problem I have is I booked a family holiday last year for the end of July, I didn't tell the company as I wasn't planning on still being there, but because of this recent change I put in a holiday request but they have refused it due to another team member booking the same dates.
    I don't want to risk losing this contract by saying I'm taking it anyway but I cant cancel/change the holiday.
    Any suggestions on how I should handle it?

    Dan
    Uh oh....IR35

  4. #4

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    19,938

    Default

    I would say a shiny new contractor still thinking like a Permie.
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make myself look wise and well read."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

  5. #5

    Respect my authoritah!

    NotAllThere's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Far away from HMRC
    Posts
    21,767

    Default

    All contracts are temporary. That's what contracting is about. As soon as they asked you to extend, you should have said have said that you were unavailable at the end of July - just as you would if the initial contract had been for a year. Your choices are

    1. Tell them you're unavailable at the end of July. Most clients will accept a holiday you've already booked.
    2. Cancel the holiday. You won't lose money, since those days when you're now working, you'll be being paid - that should more than make up for it. You don't get paid when you're on holiday.
    3. Tell the client that you've already booked the holiday, but if they pay the cancellation costs, then you'll be glad to work that period.
    Boomers tend to believe in “freedom of speech”, which is a fascist concept used to spread hateful ideas.Given that hate speech is not possible without free speech, any defence of free speech is a form of hate speech. - Titania McGrath

  6. #6

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    I would say a shiny new contractor still thinking like a Permie.
    30+ years a as a "permi" 3 months as a contractor, sorry for not knowing everything about it, but thanks for the constructive advice

    NotAllThere: Cheers for that, will try option 1&3 if all else fails will look for another contract

  7. #7

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    19,938

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by danwins224 View Post
    30+ years a as a "permi" 3 months as a contractor, sorry for not knowing everything about it, but thanks for the constructive advice

    NotAllThere: Cheers for that, will try option 1&3 if all else fails will look for another contract
    My pleasure!

    (I’m a tough love kinda gal.)
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make myself look wise and well read."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

  8. #8

    More fingers than teeth

    BlasterBates's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    1922 Commitee
    Posts
    14,271

    Default

    Make it a condition for the renewal that they agree or pay a higher rate.

    If they refuse then make a decision based on what you would earn taking into account the loss on the holiday, i.e. effectively you lose a half a month's pay but could you get a contract within two weeks?

    Treat it purely as a business decision, don't be emotional. If you rebook the holiday it's because that is the decision that maximises your income under the circumstances.

    ...and in the future perhaps look at paying a bit more for a holiday that can be rebooked.
    I'm alright Jack

  9. #9

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    2,875

    Default

    Tell, don't ask, has always been my motto.

    I have to say, booking holidays outside of contract and telling them at or after renewal has always been my default methodology. I don't get into cancelling or rearranging - if I get a 3 month contract, I take that at face value.

    It's a bit different booking within the contract, of course. You need to be a little more delicate there.
    Last edited by vwdan; 18th January 2020 at 10:13.

  10. #10

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    18

    Default

    Contractors need to take time off for many reasons e.g. sickness, family emergency, jury service etc. Be assertive and tell the client you will be taking the time off, no reason required but do offer to send a substitute.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •