• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holiday request

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did you offer to invoke the substitution clause in your contract and send iin a replacement?

Comment

Originally posted by danwins224 View Post
      Hi all, whats the best way to handle this situation?

I started contracting last October and dropped in to a nice job, good hours, good money and good staff. Unfortunately it was only a going to be a temporary contract for 6-8 weeks. However, work load has increased and they have asked me to stay for at least another 6 months.
      The problem I have is I booked a family holiday last year for the end of July, I didn't tell the company as I wasn't planning on still being there, but because of this recent change I put in a holiday request but they have refused it due to another team member booking the same dates.
      I don't want to risk losing this contract by saying I'm taking it anyway but I cant cancel/change the holiday.
      Any suggestions on how I should handle it?

Dan
      Hahaha nice one, IR35 trolling

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
        Did you offer to invoke the substitution clause in your contract and send iin a replacement?
        Risky move. Refusing a substitute will throw the contract undisputably inside-IR35.

Comment

Contracting:
          If you won't pay, I won't work.
          If I don't work, you don't pay.

Holiday request:
          Please can I have permission to not be paid? Doesn't make any sense does it?

Comment

Do a Tarby

Sit by the pool sipping cocktails and answer a few emails occasionally and continue to invoice

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Just suck it up

If it helps, I've had to ditch paid-for holidays at least twice because clients said no.

What's even more depressing is you can't claim anything from your company eg a replacement holiday.
              "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Well heres my take on it..

Steaming in and saying not available unlucky fellas is a bad idea normally. Yes OK you don't have to ask but its usually better to say, look I'm planning to be away those weeks, no-one else is off so just confirming.

Of course, if you know loads of people are off, then A) Don't book it that time or B) Get another contract.

In your case, if its all booked, then I'd have mentioned when the renewal covering this was accepted. If its a long running contract then I might even say before, knowing a renewal is happening. (e.g. been at current place for about 5 renewals so I pre-empt it)

In your case, hmmm, difficult one. Yeh you should have mentioned at renewal to be honest - put the ball in their court. i.e. yes I'll renew but wont be here these dates. It makes it a bit more complicated now.

How reasonable are they being with saying no though? Are they just being a bit OTT about it. Depends how much you want to keep the gig as well?

I have had once a client, two months before I was due to go on holidays, saying "ah you can't be off then". I reminded them I'd mentioned this months previously at renewal. They still thought they could say no. Ummm no you can't. So I was all set to leave the gig the week before until they saw sense.....;-) They saw it as me blackmailing them a bit but I did point that, to be fair, I had warned them and they'd forgotten so not really my fault.

Can't believe someone would cancel a holiday just because a client said no though. Are you insane? Life is too short. There's more than just money to think of. What about family/kids etc? Not everyone is able to reschedule a holiday - especially if your partner works.

Remember the old adage, family and friends top of the important list, cat number 2, employer/client about number 15.
                Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                  If it helps, I've had to ditch paid-for holidays at least twice because clients said no.

What's even more depressing is you can't claim anything from your company eg a replacement holiday.
                  No way!

Had you warned them in advance?

If not, what were the circumstances?

In my books,

Negatives
                  Lost deposit - £500
                  Grief off the mrs and kids - unlimited hell

Positives
                  Good will from client - possibly **** all when they decide they don't have the budget anyway and can you weeks later.

I always tell people story of mate of mine. Cancelled his holiday days before due to go. His mrs went apetulip. Company paid his deposit he'd lost but they basically didnt have a holiday that year.

Got made redundant suddenly, out of the blue, a month later at same time as me. Mate was gutted because he was convinced that the director of the company, who'd asked him to cancel, would see him right. He didn't.
                  Last edited by psychocandy; 20 January 2020, 15:14.
                  Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Had you warned them in advance?.
                    They said "You need to start straight away". I said "I've got a week's holiday all paid for. Is that alright?".

They said "No".

I thought to myself "Am I a man or a mouse?!"

And squeaked "OK"

Those were the days. Contractors knew their place.
                    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Hi all, whats the best way to handle this situation?

I started contracting last October and dropped in to a nice job, good hours, good money and good staff. Unfortunately it was only a going to be a temporary contract for 6-8 weeks. However, work load has increased and they have asked me to stay for at least another 6 months.
                      The problem I have is I booked a family holiday last year for the end of July, I didn't tell the company as I wasn't planning on still being there, but because of this recent change I put in a holiday request but they have refused it due to another team member booking the same dates.
                      I don't want to risk losing this contract by saying I'm taking it anyway but I cant cancel/change the holiday.

Dan
                      So, the holiday you have booked is for the end of July, which is in 6 months...
                      The client has given you an extension of 6 months.
                      Does that mean that, give or take, your contract is going to end at the same time as your holiday? If that's the case, I don't see the problem.

If instead you'd need to leave a few days/weeks before the end of the contract, just keep your head down, don't mention it again, keep invoicing and 1 week before you're supposed to go on holiday just come up and say yo I won't be available until X date. If you've done a good job, they'll wait for you.

Comment

Working...
                      X