• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holiday request

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Syd View Post
    Risky move. Refusing a substitute will throw the contract undisputably inside-IR35.
    No it won't. A client could have a number of valid reasons for rejecting a substitution that would not impact IR35. Indeed, I'd say a client taking the time to even consider a replacement is an indicator that substitution would be possible.

Obviously, if you expect the client to respond with "we'd never entertain a substitution", then don't ask.

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
      They said "You need to start straight away". I said "I've got a week's holiday all paid for. Is that alright?".

They said "No".

I thought to myself "Am I a man or a mouse?!"

And squeaked "OK"

Those were the days. Contractors knew their place.
      Ha ha they wouldn't wait a week? Nuts mun.

Bet you sat there for a week with no login?
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
        Did you offer to invoke the substitution clause in your contract and send in a replacement?
        Send in your sub to go on the holiday ?

Or, you could carry on for a while without mentioning the holiday again (while we all get through this tulip storm in April), gives you more time to show them how great you are, then a month or so before the holiday, explain your mrs simply won't agree to you not going with as you'd hoped, and do a deal to do extra hours pre and after the holiday to make up the time you'll be out (I've done this in the past, when on hourly), or offer to add the missing holiday time on the end

If they are 'good staff' as your OP says, they'll work with you surely, and if they won't, you'll have done most of the gig anyway, and do you really want to be somewhere where you can't take any time off unless they say it's ok ?

I'd keep my powder dry for a bit
        Last edited by jk3838; 20 January 2020, 17:55.

Comment

Never moans. Never laughs. Never cries. Never flinches.

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
          It's not the point.

The point is if you ever think you have any self-respect whatsoever then you are not a proper contractor. A contractor is someone who takes whatever tulip is thrown at them and never flinches.

The only valid sense of self, is invoice-shaped.
          "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

It's not the point.

The point is if you ever think you have any self-respect whatsoever then you are not a proper contractor. A contractor is someone who takes whatever tulip is thrown at them and never flinches.

The only valid sense of self, is invoice-shaped.
            Speak for yourself! Most of us aren't doormats.
            If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
              Speak for yourself! Most of us aren't doormats.
              +1 - treat me badly and I will walk away.

And the last consultancy who treated me badly has discovered that I have far more influence in the market than they had - as their 15 month long continuing hunt for a second Solution Architect demonstrates.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                +1 - treat me badly and I will walk away.

And the last consultancy who treated me badly has discovered that I have far more influence in the market than they had - as their 15 month long continuing hunt for a second Solution Architect demonstrates.
                Cool story bro

Comment

They said "You need to start straight away". I said "I've got a week's holiday all paid for. Is that alright?".

They said "No".

I thought to myself "Am I a man or a mouse?!"

And squeaked "OK"

Those were the days. Contractors knew their place.
                  The highlighted bit is where you made your mistake. The correct phrasing is "so I won't be available on this date". or "so I will have to start on...".

From the point you asked if it was alright, and definitely when you squeaked, then they knew they'd got a resource they could abuse.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Without trying to sound like the forum troll, you have to make all holidays a 'tell' rather than an 'ask' from the off

I usually put out an email saying "Please kindly note I will be unavailable on these days"

Quite often they'll come back with "Approved." but I let that slide

There are few upsides to being a contractor - take this one.
                    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                      Ha ha they wouldn't wait a week? Nuts mun.

Oh god I know this! I told a client to hold their horses for a couple weeks once (I was having a terrible time and needed a holiday first).

Client not happy, but accepted.

Got there 2 weeks later, standard story. No logon, no laptop, mailbox not set up properly, no drive access...
                      ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Working...
                      X