• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holiday request

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jk3838 View Post
    ...explain your mrs simply won't agree to you not going with as you'd hoped...
    Sure, let everyone know who really wears the pants in your house.

OP, for christ sake, behave like a contractor, not like a spineless worm as suggested by this guy.

Comment

Could I have served some purpose after all?

Originally posted by eek View Post
      their 15 month long continuing hunt for a second Solution Architect demonstrates.
      Interesting. Citi couldn't go without a project manager for a week but your client has soldiered on for 15 months. Does this suggest project managers are many, many times more important than solution architects?

Dunno, just asking...
      "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
        Interesting. Citi couldn't go without a project manager for a week but your client has soldiered on for 15 months. Does this suggest project managers are many, many times more important than solution architects?

Dunno, just asking...
        I work in a smallish sector and most available solution architects will either be working for the bigger consultancies or contractors. As I know most of the contractors as it's a very small world directing them to other places is a very easy thing to do.

All I've currently done is limit their expansion opportunities (no senior skilled staff to lead projects) - the really cruel bit will be in a few months.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
          Without trying to sound like the forum troll, you have to make all holidays a 'tell' rather than an 'ask' from the off

I usually put out an email saying "Please kindly note I will be unavailable on these days"

Quite often they'll come back with "Approved." but I let that slide

There are few upsides to being a contractor - take this one.
          Had one lady agent who insisted I had to run all holidays past her. I said no bollacks do I - if its sorted with the client its a done deal. But I did agree to tell her when I had sorted time off.

She didn't get it - next holiday I pretty much worded it as "I will be off between x and y, agreed with client". Still came back with "OK happy to authorise that". Jeez....
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
            Had one lady agent who insisted I had to run all holidays past her. I said no bollacks do I - if its sorted with the client its a done deal. But I did agree to tell her when I had sorted time off.

She didn't get it - next holiday I pretty much worded it as "I will be off between x and y, agreed with client". Still came back with "OK happy to authorise that". Jeez....
            Why did you even agree to let the agent know you had holidays sorted with the client? I've never let an agent know about my holidays plan. After you start a contract, the only interaction you need to have with an agent is when it's extension time or of you're giving notice.

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
              My pleasure!

(I’m a tough love kinda gal.)
              Always thought you were a man.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                Why did you even agree to let the agent know you had holidays sorted with the client? I've never let an agent know about my holidays plan. After you start a contract, the only interaction you need to have with an agent is when it's extension time or of you're giving notice.
                Agents like to know the reason why they earn nothing for doing nothing on those days you are off, instead of the usual loads of money for doing nothing.

Comment

You are not their employee, presumably you are an employee through your own ltd company. If you employed a builder to build an extension for you and they had a holiday booked in the middle of the job, then you are the customer would have to either accept the delay or choose another supplier. Do you really think the builder would drop their holiday because their customer told them to. That would only happen if the customer made it worth their while.

As others have said, I'd accept the extension but with the warning that you will not be available for the time in July. The client does have 6 and a bit months to prepare
                  Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                    I agree but they're gonna notice when theres no timesheet for the week. I've found a lot will then phone you anyway and say "oh no timesheet for last week?"

In this case, I couldn't be arsed to argue and said "fine I'll tell you". Bit pointless but if the agent was happy thinking she's authorised my leave (which had been sorted anyway) who am I to spoil their fun ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by BoredBloke View Post
                      You are not their employee, presumably you are an employee through your own ltd company. If you employed a builder to build an extension for you and they had a holiday booked in the middle of the job, then you are the customer would have to either accept the delay or choose another supplier. Do you really think the builder would drop their holiday because their customer told them to. That would only happen if the customer made it worth their while.

As others have said, I'd accept the extension but with the warning that you will not be available for the time in July. The client does have 6 and a bit months to prepare
                      EXACTLY....

I did do a gig once. Only 6 weeks. It was all ramping up towards one particular day in the year. Quite rightly at interview they asked if anyone had any holiday plans more than an odd day.

Seemed fair to me - they didn't want anyone taking a week off on go live week.

Comment

Working...
                      X