• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Holiday request

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    I agree but they're gonna notice when theres no timesheet for the week. I've found a lot will then phone you anyway and say "oh no timesheet for last week?"

In this case, I couldn't be arsed to argue and said "fine I'll tell you". Bit pointless but if the agent was happy thinking she's authorised my leave (which had been sorted anyway) who am I to spoil their fun ;-)
    Then why not submit a 0 days timesheet? That's what I've always done. It confirms nothing is billable for that period rather than you just being late/forgetful/client being naff, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
      Then why not submit a 0 days timesheet? That's what I've always done. It confirms nothing is billable for that period rather than you just being late/forgetful/client being naff, etc.
      It's also what I've done if I've not been logged into client site for a month.

As a hiring manager, I've twice had people tell me from the off that they're not available for a specific date - one at the end of the development phase before moving to the testing phase (agile hadn't been invented). It wasn't an issue. I just managed it.

Although in both cases idiot PMs got involved and massively pissed off my ablest and most key contractors. It's ok though - we caught up with said PMs in a dark car park and "explained" that you don't mess with the dev team.*

* This last sentence may contain hyperbole or untruths.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        It's also what I've done if I've not been logged into client site for a month.

As a hiring manager, I've twice had people tell me from the off that they're not available for a specific date - one at the end of the development phase before moving to the testing phase (agile hadn't been invented). It wasn't an issue. I just managed it.

Although in both cases idiot PMs got involved and massively pissed off my ablest and most key contractors. It's ok though - we caught up with said PMs in a dark car park and "explained" that you don't mess with the dev team.*

* This last sentence may contain hyperbole or untruths.
        No carpet involved? Can't be true.
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          No carpet involved? Can't be true.
          Carpet? It took us ages to roll it up.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
            Not all agency systems allow you to do this though....
            Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Not all agency systems allow you to do this though....
              In which case, you just go on holiday, submit no timesheet and when the agent calls you and JUST THEN you say that you didn't work for that period.

By letting them know in advance, even if it's just an FYI, you're giving them the impression that they have a power they actually don't have. You're creating an expectation that the agents will have towards all other contractors. You're promoting a wrong behaviour.

Comment

EXACTLY....

I did do a gig once. Only 6 weeks. It was all ramping up towards one particular day in the year. Quite rightly at interview they asked if anyone had any holiday plans more than an odd day.

Seemed fair to me - they didn't want anyone taking a week off on go live week.
                That's reasonable.

If instead it's a 6 month contract where I have a week off in the middle, the booking of the holiday more often transpires after I've started

Nothing an agent wouldn't do. It's not like they're upfront about Christmas contractor breaks.
                ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

If you’re a contractor (and assuming you work under a PSC model, apologies if you don’t ) then you really don’t need to tell your end client if and when you take your holidays as there’s no such things.

Under PSC model you’re being employed by your own ltd. So you’re employee of your own ltd company. If you need you really need to, you can tell your employer ( yourself ) that you’re going away on holiday.

As far as you and and your client concerned. You just need to notify them within reasonable time before hand you will not be available / won’t turn up. You don’t have to explain your reasons to them.

Comment

Originally posted by danwins224 View Post
                    I started contracting last October and dropped in to a nice job, good hours, good money and good staff. Unfortunately it was only a going to be a temporary contract for 6-8 weeks.

Dan
                    Just to add more to my reply above...

I wouldn’t use the term holiday in this context. Holiday is between yourself. It rings Permie to me. Also I wouldn’t describe this as a job. Again, it’s a contract so it’s not a ‘job’. All this references to job makes it sounds like a permie situation but it shouldn’t be and it’s definitely not.

Just need to say you’re not available or won’t be in.

Comment

Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post

I wouldn’t use the term holiday in this context. Holiday is between yourself. It rings Permie to me. Also I wouldn’t describe this as a job. Again, it’s a contract so it’s not a ‘job’. All this references to job makes it sounds like a permie situation but it shouldn’t be and it’s definitely not.

Just need to say you’re not available or won’t be in.
                      Most clients can't get away from "annual leave". Even when they know I'm working for another client they still call it annual leave....... It's not a real problem though. Just a slight annoyance.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X