• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How soon do you do your year-end accounts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How soon do you do your year-end accounts

I usually tend to do my year end accounts randomly between 5-8 months after year end and send details to my accountant.

My y/e is Dec so thinking of doing it now and getting it out of the way - any drawbacks? (SA already done)

How soon after year-end do you do your accounts and any particular reason for that date?

Mine are done within 3 three weeks of year end. I want confirmation of my CT liability as soon as possible. Why do tomorrow what you can do today?

Comment

My April 2019 year end accounts/payment are due in the next couple of weeks. Accountant has prepared accounts and they're with me for review.
      I use Freeagent so am always aware of the current CT liability.

So, at the last minute pretty much.

Comment

I sent my accounts to my accountant in the first week of January. He's raised some queries, which I've answered, so I expect to get them back by the end of the week, all done and dusted.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Around October when Nixon Williams ask for them

as for CT liability - surely you should know what that is all along, more or less...
          ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
            Around October when Nixon Williams ask for them

as for CT liability - surely you should know what that is all along, more or less...
            I'm shocked anybody is still using NixonWilliams, since they were bought out by a VentureCapitalist firm.

Their service and quality of accounts deteriorated a few years ago. If you're paying good money for an accountant it seems obvious you shouldn't be using an ex-firm with hardly any truly qualified staff. Most of their lot, 95%, are studying towards an accountancy degree/qualifications.

Studying towards something isn't the same as having the qualification or being good at it! In addition, 1% of the way through an accountancy qualification of any sort could be the majority of those; they don't breakdown the figure but it's obvious from all the complaints that most of the decent staff left a long time ago. Keep in mind that it's all automated work, amalgamated with SJD and the other firms the VC firm purchased. This many mistakes suggest it's all about money, money, money, and not about providing quality accounting services. Given the expensive cost for SJD/NW in comparison to other firms there is even more reason to choose a better, more friendly firm.

Either way: your money is better spent elsewhere. If you've read of the troubles people on this forum have had with NW and you stick with them then more fool you. Plenty of better quality accountancies out there.
            Last edited by rogerfederer; 20 January 2020, 16:05.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Mine are done within 3 three weeks of year end. I want confirmation of my CT liability as soon as possible. Why do tomorrow what you can do today?
              Er, because you can place the monies in a high interest fixed-term account and get a couple of hundred quid instead?

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
                Er, because you can place the monies in a high interest fixed-term account and get a couple of hundred quid instead?
                Er, what is the connection between knowing your liability and the deadline for payment?

Comment

I think there is a distinction between accounts and payment of taxes. Doing the accounts early doesn't change the payments dates of your taxes (VAT, Corp tax, Employers, etc).

Thanks for the feedback.

I have the Sept date (Y/E + 9 months) in my head for accounts rather than actual year-end. Need to adjust and recalibrate the internal clock to December.

Comment

Confirmation, not payment. Doing your accounts in a timely fashion does not bring the CT due date forward.

Comment

Working...
                    X