• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My first contract

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My first contract

I just moved here from US. I got my first gig for a 3 month contract inside IR35. As things are different here I'm trying to understand my obligations. Under notice period it says:

The contractor is required to complete the assignment
    This is required by you to terminate this assignment with the agency or end client

Then in another section called "Premature Termination of This Assignment" it says:

This assignment may only be terminated by you on the same terms (if at all) as we ourselves can lawfully terminate the Agency/Client Contract.
    This assignment will terminate automatically if the Agency (Client) Contract is terminated (either by us or by the agency/client), or expires and is not renewed. If we terminate your contract of employment, we may simultaneously terminate this assignment.

So I'm not really seeing what happens if I want to terminate my contract. I mean I know I run the risk of not getting more work from the agency, but I'm just trying to understand the legal ramifications if any. In the States contract work didn't work like this and funny enough even though we called it contract work there really weren't any "signed" contracts.

Appreciate any advice I can be given here on this.

Hard to fathom in isolation but it looks like you have no right of termination if you would want to quit early. A bummer if you realised the client was a waste of space but good as no employee would be given that clause.

Legally, the client / agency would have to prove material loss by you not wanting to do the work.

Comment

Working...
    X