• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

(Reluctantly) looking to go perm, but will (hopefully) return to contracting

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

(Reluctantly) looking to go perm, but will (hopefully) return to contracting

As title says, I've been offered a perm job and I have bills to pay. Given the state of the market (software development), I'm fairly certain the sensible thing to do here would be to take it.

When/if the market picks back up I'd be hoping to land a contract. I'd stay at this perm job a minimum of 12 months but next year would hopefully trade again.

Any advice? Any experience from somebody who's jumped to perm then back again? Is it best to fold the business and start it back up when I get involved in contracting again or keep it dormant?

Much of it depends on your personal circumstances. How much is in the business and what the best way to deal with it is. Could MVL but this has been discussed to death. Many posts on here at the moment about people going umbrella which is very similar as well.

I'd say you need to peruse the forums a bit and see I'd you can find what you need from an existing thread.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

With Boris dropping the tier 2

Johnson likely to end GBP30,000 immigration threshold post-Brexit | World news | The Guardian

If I was an employer would I rather get 5 cheap reasonable good Indians or 1 uk contractor

Can’t see any reason for market to ever recover

Go permie, close down your co

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
        With Boris dropping the tier 2

Johnson likely to end GBP30,000 immigration threshold post-Brexit | World news | The Guardian

If I was an employer would I rather get 5 cheap reasonable good Indians or 1 uk contractor

Can’t see any reason for market to ever recover

Go permie, close down your co

In 20 years I haven't met yet "cheap reasonable good Indians".

Comment

It all depends on your personal circumstances, tolerance for risk, goals in life, financial commitments.
          Have you ever had a moment during a project that was failing, everybody knew it, so you were somehow expecting for it to get dramatic, people taking responsibility, heads rolling?
          When, the next day, quite the opposite, they come up with a jolly new phrase and everything was swiped under a rug.
          Don't go against the corporate machine, if this is what they want they will get it.
          With reticence around here people say "go perm" and don't look back. Make sure that you embrace your new existence and don't leave a sense of doubt in your managers mind.
          You could fight it but even as a very good contractor with 1y+ on the bench you'll still loose credibility, considered damaged goods.
          You're the only person that knows best.

Comment

Originally posted by DevUK View Post
            As title says, I've been offered a perm job and I have bills to pay. Given the state of the market (software development), I'm fairly certain the sensible thing to do here would be to take it.

When/if the market picks back up I'd be hoping to land a contract. I'd stay at this perm job a minimum of 12 months but next year would hopefully trade again.

Any advice? Any experience from somebody who's jumped to perm then back again? Is it best to fold the business and start it back up when I get involved in contracting again or keep it dormant?
            I went perm last year (I'm also a dev) as I could see the writing on the wall and didn't want to risk looking for a lifeboat if things turned bad i.e. looking for a contract first couple of quarters this year.

Things will take a while to stabilise, still a lot needs to work it's way through the system, put contracting out of your mind take the role and get a good 2 years in then see where we are at.

If there is still a contracting market jump back in but a year probably won't see clarity as we still have Brexit hanging over us as well as IR35 changes.

Regarding the company, it is costing me about 40 quid a month accountancy fees to keep it open as I was concerned if things went pair shaped I couldn't open a company again within 2 years doing the same business. There's plenty left in the company so I see it as a sensible insurance policy.

Always remember the Keynes quote:

"The market can stay irrational longer than you can stay solvent."
            Last edited by PlanB; 23 January 2020, 09:29.

Comment

Only you can decide, but for me I took the same route. Ive taken quite a decent perm offer and closing the company. The company has been open for 12 years or so, so another benefit of closing the company is after 12 months I know any liability for historic IR35 investigations is significantly reduced.

I'm hoping in 12 to 18 months there will be a few more outside IR35 contracts around and go back to that. In the meantime I''ll get some new training and experience ready to hit the contract market with. I've also got quite a niceincentive plan with the permanent gig so if things go well there I could make some decent money out of that in 3 to 5 years if I decide to stay

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewK View Post
                In 20 years I haven't met yet "cheap reasonable good Indians".
                I've met plenty. They went on to become my friends.

Comment

Originally posted by hairymouse View Post
                  I've met plenty. They went on to become my friends.
                  Indeed, 10 years ago perhaps but now top notch

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                    Indeed, 10 years ago perhaps but now top notch

The question is not whether there are top notch Indians in IT, there are plenty of those. But most of them are not cheap or at least not for long.

Comment

Working...
                    X