Employee for 6 months ?!?!?! Employee for 6 months ?!?!?!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 14

My post count is Majestic

Default Employee for 6 months ?!?!?!

And to counter the thread about the possibly positive request for a managed service on jobserve I get this steaming pile in my inbox.

6 month gig as a perm employee of an Addecco subsidiary providing service to their client. I haven't seen this set up for a long time although it has been discussed on here in the past. I remember Spring providing contractors to Barclays as an employee of Spring. I'd have hoped that model would have died a long time ago but rather worryingly it's popped up again.

We did discuss this as an option where agencies would start up consultancies to provide contractors to their clients and how that wouldn't work as it's still the end clients decision but this one goes one step too far and attempts to provide an employee of their for 6 months. There is something seriously dodgy about this, as there was the Spring one. I remember when the Spring gig ended the 'employee' had a month to find more work and if they couldn't they were made redundant.

This has to be sailing very close to the law surely. It just takes the piss to employ someone for a 6 month gig.

I do hope this is a very short lived approach and dies a very quick death.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Should post faster

Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    And to counter the thread about the possibly positive request for a managed service on jobserve I get this steaming pile in my inbox.

<snipped>

How does this differ from a 6-month FTC?

Godlike

All employment is going to go this way once companies realise they can get away with this model for all their hiring requirements.

Godlike

Quote Originally Posted by BackupBoy View Post
    How does this differ from a 6-month FTC?
    Not much probably but it's the wording that's iffy.

bored now

6 month gig as a perm employee of an Addecco subsidiary providing service to their client. I haven't seen this set up for a long time although it has been discussed on here in the past. I remember Spring providing contractors to Barclays as an employee of Spring. I'd have hoped that model would have died a long time ago but rather worryingly it's popped up again.

We did discuss this as an option where agencies would start up consultancies to provide contractors to their clients and how that wouldn't work as it's still the end clients decision but this one goes one step too far and attempts to provide an employee of their for 6 months. There is something seriously dodgy about this, as there was the Spring one. I remember when the Spring gig ended the 'employee' had a month to find more work and if they couldn't they were made redundant.

This has to be sailing very close to the law surely. It just takes the piss to employ someone for a 6 month gig.

Nope, it ties with a comment I've just made in the umbrella forum.

Agency workers have the same rights as permanent members of staff after 12 weeks. To avoid that you want those people on payroll a distance away from the agency. This approach does it without the hassle of umbrellas.

Oh and I expect to see far worse before this story finishes. It's why I know what I'm doing and just stocking up on
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

bored now

Quote Originally Posted by ladymuck View Post
    All employment is going to go this way once companies realise they can get away with this model for all their hiring requirements.
    A lot of care companies already have, because they need to do everything possible to keep costs low.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Respect my authoritah!

I remember when Spring were called Myriad.
    Boomers tend to believe in “freedom of speech”, which is a fascist concept used to spread hateful ideas.Given that hate speech is not possible without free speech, any defence of free speech is a form of hate speech. - Titania McGrath

Fingers like lightning

Well, it works for footballers and look how rich they are!!!

Should post faster

At-will employment, works for the USA.

More time posting than coding

This is how I remember things working way way back in the day when I was an office temp, years before I got into IT. I was signed up with several employment agencies - like Kelly Services or Reed - and became an employee of each of them. I would phone round on a Friday lunchtime to find out if any of them had work for me the following week. Sometimes I was with a client for a few months, other times it was maybe just a week or even a day. I put my timesheet in on a Friday and got paid the following week. I got paid an hourly rate and the agency just charged a mark up on that to the end client.

The only difference was that they were finding me the work, not the other way around.
    If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically