• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you could contract in any country, which would you choose?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The USA doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. I was last there in 2012 and have absolutely no desire to return.

Now, Central and South America... Those are places I want to visit. Not so sure about emigrating though.

Comment

Greece (Rhodes, more specifically) or Australia!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zonkkk View Post
        Greece (Rhodes, more specifically) or Australia!!!
        Genuine question. Why Rhodes rather than the mainland?

We are seriously thinking about doing a 3 month trial in Athens as MrsB is studying for a Classics Degree an could transfer to the University there for a semester.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

My accountant said he has a client who is on £1200 a day in the U.S. He has his accounts done in the UK and has said because his contract is from U.S he doesn't reside within IR35.

How does that one work out?

Comment

Originally posted by Trillionski View Post
            My accountant said he has a client who is on £1200 a day in the U.S. He has his accounts done in the UK and has said because his contract is from U.S he doesn't reside within IR35.

How does that one work out?
            I think you asked this on the wrong thread...

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
              Genuine question. Why Rhodes rather than the mainland?

We are seriously thinking about doing a 3 month trial in Athens as MrsB is studying for a Classics Degree an could transfer to the University there for a semester.
              I know you asked this question to somebody else. However, I am an IT contractor who has owned a home here for 16.5 years.

For me, the island is perfect. I can grow stuff here I can never imagine outside a third world tropical country. Mangos, papayas, pineapples, I have a vast collection of exotic palms. I can almost grow a coconut tree (still trying - it's been fairly successful in Paphos Cyprus which is an identical climate to here).

Beaches - 8 beaches with slightly different personalities within 12 minutes of my house.

The city - I live in a village in the south but the city is quite cosmopolitan - lots of very good restaurants that are reasonably priced.

Overall, Greeks (I'm Canadian / British) have a high opinion of he island which, to them, has a lot of beauty not found elsewhere in the country and a much warmer climate than everywhere else (with the exceptions of Crete and Kastelorizo).

Comment

Originally posted by herman_g View Post
                I know you asked this question to somebody else. However, I am an IT contractor who has owned a home here for 16.5 years.

For me, the island is perfect. I can grow stuff here I can never imagine outside a third world tropical country. Mangos, papayas, pineapples, I have a vast collection of exotic palms. I can almost grow a coconut tree (still trying - it's been fairly successful in Paphos Cyprus which is an identical climate to here).

Beaches - 8 beaches with slightly different personalities within 12 minutes of my house.

The city - I live in a village in the south but the city is quite cosmopolitan - lots of very good restaurants that are reasonably priced.

Overall, Greeks (I'm Canadian / British) have a high opinion of he island which, to them, has a lot of beauty not found elsewhere in the country and a much warmer climate than everywhere else (with the exceptions of Crete and Kastelorizo).
                for the same reason I'd do Crete, contracted in Australia for about 10 years, great gardening etc but certain places are parochial and backward - just my experience, I'm sure there are places that are similar all over the world

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  The USA doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. I was last there in 2012 and have absolutely no desire to return.

Now, Central and South America... Those are places I want to visit. Not so sure about emigrating though.
                  I enjoy it a lot. I have an office there just outside of Washington DC and go over quite regularly but also work at customers over there so spend time in different cities. I have the offer of going over to live but that I don't really want to do unless it really comes down to it.
                  Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                  X