• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you could contract in any country, which would you choose?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you could contract in any country, which would you choose?

Based on:
    • highest rate
    • fun/interesting country
    • possibility to work there [EU passport]
    • demand

I have contracted in UK, Ireland and now NL. I am noticing that in NL it has probably the highest rates of contracts in EU right now, (Software Dev / Data Engineering fields), at least that is what I notice. Even Switzerland is not as high, and with a higher cost of living.

Which country would you choose if you could work in any? (contracting)

America - if I could get paid what I do here but live there I think I'd be very happy
    ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

I'd probably go down under - NZ is a bit too quiet but I do like Sydney / Melbourne (when it's not on fire).

Comment

Canary islands

Full English Breakfast for £1.99

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by jf2010 View Post
          Based on:
          • highest rate
          • fun/interesting country
          • possibility to work there [EU passport]
          • demand
          If I were to move, it would be based on lifestyle choice, not contract.

As a contractor you tend to travel for work, one role in one place, a year later another role somewhere else (unless you're one of the disguised permies who stay at the same client for a few years). If you limit your contracts to being "close to where I live", then you're limiting your opportunities.

I'd choose somewhere where I could afford to live comfortably that was close enough to the sea to go sailing, close enough to the mountains to go skiing, where I can take my dog for long walks, take my wife for long lunches, with a climate suitable for growing vines, along with other fruit and veg.
          Somewhere I could drive an Alfa Giulietta Spider in the summer and a Stelvio QV in winter.

Rate & Demand don't really feature that highly.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
            America - if I could get paid what I do here but live there I think I'd be very happy
            Until you get unwell, as you are wont to do as you age. It's a young persons country in this respect and especially so for incoming workers without the financial capital of the US baby boomer generation.

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
              Canary islands

Full English Breakfast for £1.99

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
              £1.59 once claimed!
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
                If I were to move, it would be based on lifestyle choice, not contract.

As a contractor you tend to travel for work, one role in one place, a year later another role somewhere else (unless you're one of the disguised permies who stay at the same client for a few years). If you limit your contracts to being "close to where I live", then you're limiting your opportunities.

I'd choose somewhere where I could afford to live comfortably that was close enough to the sea to go sailing, close enough to the mountains to go skiing, where I can take my dog for long walks, take my wife for long lunches, with a climate suitable for growing vines, along with other fruit and veg.
                Somewhere I could drive an Alfa Giulietta Spider in the summer and a Stelvio QV in winter.

Rate & Demand don't really feature that highly.
                Agreed. To have the upheaval of skipping country, or continent, there needs to be a far bigger pull than the day rate.

Comment

There are a lot of people that are here for the opportunities. Once those are gone it could be easier for them to just go back.
                  Eastern Europe is picking up, I do not consider myself going back as do not identify anymore with the people there. But for a lot of people it could make more sense.
                  Sure I am expecting a "don't let the door hit you on the ass", quite frequent it appears on this forum.
                  Pretty sure there will be others willing to fill in the gaps.
                  But would you like to live in those communities? People frequently moving house, only living here in precarious conditions to be able to send money home?
                  What will it turn into?

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                    Seriously? I get it that gun violence and other violent crime levels can be mitigated by choosing some specific areas of this fast country. But how would you handle their healthcare system and lack of food standards?

Comment

Working...
                    X