• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inside IR35 what happens to my Ltd Co Profits

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inside IR35 what happens to my Ltd Co Profits

I may be deemed inside IR35 from april and have approx 50k inside my ltd company
    if i move to umbrella can i still next year extract the 50k as dividends from what will be dormant company?

Why not...?
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

It won't be dormant and, yes, you can do anything lawful with the retained profits, such as extracting dividends in one year or over N years or extracting some dividends and then dissolving with 25k left or liquidating and taking a capital distribution with ER. Speak to your accountant about options.

Comment

Originally posted by daddum View Post
        I may be deemed inside IR35 from april and have approx 50k inside my ltd company
        if i move to umbrella can i still next year extract the 50k as dividends from what will be dormant company?
        Speak to your accountant. Your options to mitigate your tax position are somewhat limited having been inside IR35 during the tax year (i.e. it may not be efficient to withdraw 50k as dividends if you have been paying yourself a "deemed" salary).
        ---

Former member of IPSE.

---
        Many a mickle makes a muckle.

---

Comment

You are aware of the risks of going inside? Have a look at this thread and browse thst section of the forum. Plenty of people in your position.

https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ould-i-go.html
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If leaving a company on 28/2, keeping the LTD open, am I still free to extract dividends as normal?

I'll most likely just pay myself the 700 odd quid as salary to keep me ticking over until I find another outside or think about making the company dormant come April once I've paid myself the dividend currently distributable in my LTD.
            Last edited by Dhrucku; 29 January 2020, 15:36.

Comment

Originally posted by Dhrucku View Post
              If leaving a company on 28/2, keeping the LTD open, am I still free to extract dividends as normal?
              Sure, other factors being equal (you have profits to distribute )

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                Sure, other factors being equal (you have profits to distribute )
                May think about pulling everything I can from the company come the next period (as I've maxed out this year). Once I've done that, may need to consider dormancy.

It only makes sense to me to carry out salary distribution if you know you'll land something in the next few months.

Depends on the likelihood that this IR35 turns into another BREXIT (i.e. another fuss about nothing)...which I think it will.

Comment

Originally posted by Dhrucku View Post
                  May think about pulling everything I can from the company come the next period (as I've maxed out this year). Once I've done that, may need to consider dormancy.

It only makes sense to me to carry out salary distribution if you know you'll land something in the next few months.

Depends on the likelihood that this IR35 turns into another BREXIT (i.e. another fuss about nothing)...which I think it will.
                  As that money was earned when you were outside ir35 then you can pay dividends etc.

A lot of contractors I know, including myself, are thinking about using a tax efficient MVL to close the company down. I think these will become very popular over the next year. Be aware though, if you use an MVL you cannot create another Limited Company doing the same type of work for 2 years (I think).

Regarding IR35 being another Brexit ... personally I very much doubt it. The problem is the massive corporations like the Banks will not risk allowing outside iR35 contracts. Hope I am wrong though but the public sector is still vastly inside iR35 as far as I can tell.

Comment

Originally posted by mogga71 View Post
                    As that money was earned when you were outside ir35 then you can pay dividends etc.

A lot of contractors I know, including myself, are thinking about using a tax efficient MVL to close the company down. I think these will become very popular over the next year. Be aware though, if you use an MVL you cannot create another Limited Company doing the same type of work for 2 years (I think).

Regarding IR35 being another Brexit ... personally I very much doubt it. The problem is the massive corporations like the Banks will not risk allowing outside iR35 contracts. Hope I am wrong though but the public sector is still vastly inside iR35 as far as I can tell.
                    Or dissolution/strike off (better for <25k).

Comment

Working...
                    X