• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inside roles and Employers NI - Real world experiences pls

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inside roles and Employers NI - Real world experiences pls

Role advertised as Rate £xxx per day. Role will be "inside"* and duration will straddle the April change dates.

So, rate is fare and when run past the forum's friendly Umbrella, the net works for my needs. There may also be the option to go the PAYE route (yes, I have read the pros / cons threads)

Questions:

1. What is the real world experiences of getting the chain of engager to honour their new responsibilities with regards the "employer" covering the employer's NI etc (as opposed to the true employer - the Umbrella if I go that route)

2. Work will be at one of three locations: WFH/Consulting Co's London office/Consulting Co's client's office in Home county-shire. What has your experience been of extracting some form of travel costs to one (or both?) of the sites when you're "multi-homed"

Not wanting to be too mercenary, but if there's form for arguing the toss, I'd appreciate it.

MJ

* quite correctly, no debate, they are a consultancy pimping me to A.N. Other client and controlling which offices I work at etc

1) They have to honour their obligations. Its a legal requirement is it not? If you don't go through a brolly the agency's PAYE will deal with it.

2) So two locations. You won't be based at home, you'll have your base as one of the other two. If they want you to travel regularly to it you negotiate that in during your contract negotiations. Shouldn't be a problem if it is a consultancy and they want you to work at their clients locations occasionally.. Or the other way around.
    Have they actually stated you need to visit the consultancies office?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 31 January 2020, 00:41.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

1) They have to honour their obligations. Its a legal requirement is it not? If you don't go through a brolly the agency's PAYE will deal with it.
      Well, yes... its a legal requirement. what is not clear and caused the question: Is a published rate £xxx per day expected to gross, gross less engager's NI or something else? Yes, I will be asking, but my question is "what is the experience of others?"

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

2) So two locations. You won't be based at home, you'll have your base as one of the other two. If they want you to travel regularly to it you negotiate that in during your contract negotiations. Shouldn't be a problem if it is a consultancy and they want you to work at their clients locations occasionally.. Or the other way around.
      Have they actually stated you need to visit the consultancies office?
      Yep, very clear from the outset - 2 locations + WFH. If employed, clearly there would be a "place of work" and the other location would be at travel cost. But, this is an inside role, so not "employed" (no bens), but not contract either... so no mileage from home to everywhere. Again - hence the question: "What's the experience of others?"

Suspect the resulting engagement will be either Payroll to somewhere in the chain or Brolly at gross rate and mileage to consultant Co's client only.

MJ

Comment

Originally posted by mjcp View Post
        Well, yes... its a legal requirement. what is not clear and caused the question: Is a published rate £xxx per day expected to gross, gross less engager's NI or something else? Yes, I will be asking, but my question is "what is the experience of others?"

Yep, very clear from the outset - 2 locations + WFH. If employed, clearly there would be a "place of work" and the other location would be at travel cost. But, this is an inside role, so not "employed" (no bens), but not contract either... so no mileage from home to everywhere. Again - hence the question: "What's the experience of others?"

Suspect the resulting engagement will be either Payroll to somewhere in the chain or Brolly at gross rate and mileage to consultant Co's client only.

MJ
        No one has experience with that as it's still not in force until April. With the "old" IR35 rules the advertised rate has always been gross with YourCo/Umbrella paying the erNI out of it.

I assume this will remain the case with Agency/Umbrella paying erNI out of it.

Regarding travel nothing changes. If the contract is inside IR35 you can't claim expenses from YourCo/Umbrella. You can still negotiate to claim expenses from ClientCo/Employer on top of your rate.

Comment

Working...
        X