• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any clue how many of your fellow contractors are going inside?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any clue how many of your fellow contractors are going inside?

There are about 200 contractors at clientco - only 6 on the project I am on.

I am the only one (I know of) of our 6 who is quitting due to the blanket rules.

Everyone else seems to be accepting the income cut and carrying on.

What are others seeing at clientcos ?

Last man standing at current ClientCo, everyone else got binned before x-mas. They only kept me to wrap up the tail end of the project until end of February, then there will be no more contractors (at least in IT).

Out of my contractor friends - one is going permie for ex-client at excellent salary and benefits - better than inside gig at his top rate and folding his Co. the rest are going to look for Outside gigs at least to begin with.

Comment

I left my previous role when the contract expired in December, as they'd indicated that there would be no LtdCo contractors retained beyond February 2020. Found another client in the same field (banking/insurance) taking people on explicitly outside IR35 - there are now several of us from the old client happily sitting at the new one.

Funnily enough a couple of weeks before the end of 2019 the old client asked us to stay on as LtdCo contractors outside IR35 as they'd reconsidered (because everyone was leaving!), but by then they were too late.

Handily resets the two year rule too, as well as being a slightly easier journey.

I'm very aware this isn't typical, but hopefully it'll become more common as things work through over time.

Comment

Towel has been thrown in and I'm going permie.

Most I know are looking to ride out the storm.

Comment

Originally posted by Networker2017 View Post
          Towel has been thrown in and I'm going permie.

Most I know are looking to ride out the storm.
          Permie at same place or even riding out the storm within IR35, at the same client, is probably the riskiest thing you can do with regards to retro IR35 action.

Comment

A project started 2 years ago to get all contractors to perm. Only 4 left. Not that the client cares about 2020 changes.

Comment

A few key contractors will be retained outside IR35.

Most contractors (who are actually permitractors doing Dev or BA roles) will be moved inside.

Talking to some of permitractors I'm always amazed at general lack of wider knowledge,

"April? - what's going on in April?"

"Dunno much about IR35"

etc.

Most of these folks will go back to perm roles and the contractor workforce will revert to where is was 10-15 years ago which might not be such as bad thing for UK IT as a whole.

Comment

Originally posted by silverlight1 View Post
                A few key contractors will be retained outside IR35.

Most contractors (who are actually permitractors doing Dev or BA roles) will be moved inside.

Talking to some of permitractors I'm always amazed at general lack of wider knowledge,

"April? - what's going on in April?"

"Dunno much about IR35"

etc.

Most of these folks will go back to perm roles and the contractor workforce will revert to where is was 10-15 years ago which might not be such as bad thing for UK IT as a whole.
                Agree, the contractor market was / is a false market, but it benefited both client and contractor. You'll know the genuine contractors from the 'bum on the seat' types though if both are pulled into Umbrella contracts. Don't make friends with the genuine professional contractor who clearly knows how to get things done. They wont be at that client very long

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                  There are about 200 contractors at clientco - only 6 on the project I am on.

I am the only one (I know of) of our 6 who is quitting due to the blanket rules.

Everyone else seems to be accepting the income cut and carrying on.

What are others seeing at clientcos ?
                  That was very much the case at my public sector client when I left. The only ones that went were the ones travelling where it just became unfeasible to stay.

Quite surprising how many stayed but looking around the forums and previous colleagues I won't be surprised if a lot stay. There will be very little to leave for compared when then PS hit
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    That was very much the case at my public sector client when I left. The only ones that went were the ones travelling where it just became unfeasible to stay.

Quite surprising how many stayed but looking around the forums and previous colleagues I won't be surprised if a lot stay. There will be very little to leave for compared when then PS hit
                    Why is it surprising many stayed? Be inside IR35 and have an income and start applying for something else or sit on the bench and have nothing, not a difficult choice for most.

Comment

Working...
                    X