• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any clue how many of your fellow contractors are going inside?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the engineering side where I used to be, most contractors are longer-term and plenty have rejected the kind offer of an inside / PAYE role. Primarily to mitigate the retrospective investigation risk.

In the IT side where I've been recently, most seem to be blindly walking straight into accepting the inside determinations that they've all been given and simply transitioning over.

Comment

Originally posted by Highland View Post
      In the engineering side where I used to be, most contractors are longer-term and plenty have rejected the kind offer of an inside / PAYE role. Primarily to mitigate the retrospective investigation risk.

In the IT side where I've been recently, most seem to be blindly walking straight into accepting the inside determinations that they've all been given and simply transitioning over.
      IMHO folk are getting too concerned about the retrospective investigations. Yes I know its the Tax People but they have stated multiple times they won't go after people who switch to Inside. I would be much more concerned if I was still outside come April.

I think saying 'blindly walking' is a tad harsh. What option have they got? Leave or continue inside.

Comment

Originally posted by mogga71 View Post
        IMHO folk are getting too concerned about the retrospective investigations. Yes I know its the Tax People but they have stated multiple times they won't go after people who switch to Inside. I would be much more concerned if I was still outside come April.

I think saying 'blindly walking' is a tad harsh. What option have they got? Leave or continue inside.
        They said they'd stand by the result of CEST. In the public sector they have not.
        They said there were no plans to roll the reforms out to the private sector. That one speaks for itself.
        They said they would not target people who changed to inside in the public sector. They have investigated people.

They have never said they won't go after people. The words are very carefully chosen. You are certainly NOT safe if you switch from an outside to inside role without any change of working practices.

Comment

What? Please tell me your joking. Client post April has all the risk and the pockets to fight an investigation and anyone who believes HMRC is a fool of the highest order.

Comment

Bit mixed where I am. Rumour mill said client had 300 contractors individually assessed and only a handful found to be outside.

What I know of personally, 2 have gone for inside roles closer to home. 1 take up a permie job with the customer to the client to manage his risk. A number of others being offered FTC on good money

I myself have already gone brolly with client and in process of closing company down. I know what my exposure is if retrospectively investigated and have taken steps to reduce it further by large pension contributions. If HMRC come calling they will be faced with a closed company and evidence in the form of contract reviews etc that due diligence was carried out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by poorautojobber View Post
              Client post April has all the risk and the pockets to fight an investigation and anyone who believes HMRC is a fool of the highest order.
              if so, why are so many clients (big banks) etc are putting blankets bans and asking contractors to move inside? Doesn't that give HMRC more opportunity to come after us contractors which ultimately lead to them? Post April, the entity that pays the ££ (client) would be liable to pay the costs - not us.

they might have the pockets to handle the investigation coming but naturually most clients are very risk adverse..

Comment

When I say 'blindly' I mean without giving any consideration as to the potential pitfalls - especially when some of them have been with the same client for quite a while.

The primary thought I hear is more to do with X% down on their take-home, rather than "So I've been self-determining for 3years as outside, but now I'm inside doing the same thing - what does that actually mean for me?".

I'm not saying it's easy, some of these guys aren't on big rates / don't have large war chests.
                Last edited by Highland; 1 February 2020, 17:01.

Comment

Look at what HMRC say very carefully. If you are now inside/umbrella/perm at the same client where you were declaring yourself outside then it's not retrospective. That is how HMRC will view it. You were wrong all along.

Comment

Any clue how many of your fellow contractors are going inside?

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
                    There are about 200 contractors at clientco - only 6 on the project I am on.

I am the only one (I know of) of our 6 who is quitting due to the blanket rules.

Everyone else seems to be accepting the income cut and carrying on.

What are others seeing at clientcos ?
                    Every single one in banking has rolled over as no work in outside world

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
                      Every single one in banking has rolled over as no work in outside world
                      I'm living proof that that's not true.

Comment

Working...
                      X