• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any clue how many of your fellow contractors are going inside?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
    Permie at same place or even riding out the storm within IR35, at the same client, is probably the riskiest thing you can do with regards to retro IR35 action.
    Some of the heavy hitting contractors (those who have been around for 3-5 years who are crucial to the business) claim that even though the company has sent out a blanket IR35, are going to get their contracts looked at and rewritten to prove their outside.

What's the thoughts on this? Are they thinking they're more important than they are when in fact they're just another load of fodder that will churn through the IR35 machine and they'll find themselves inside?

Have a feeling in the place I'm working at that things will work themselves out and they'll get some negotiation done individually despite a blanket ban already announced...

Comment

Originally posted by Dhrucku View Post
      Some of the heavy hitting contractors (those who have been around for 3-5 years who are crucial to the business) claim that even though the company has sent out a blanket IR35, are going to get their contracts looked at and rewritten to prove their outside.

What's the thoughts on this? Are they thinking they're more important than they are when in fact they're just another load of fodder that will churn through the IR35 machine and they'll find themselves inside?

Have a feeling in the place I'm working at that things will work themselves out and they'll get some negotiation done individually despite a blanket ban already announced...
      This will depend on the clout of both the management at the client it will affect to successfully impart the impact to senior management and directors, and the clout of the contractors to genuinely walk away.

We have a similar situation at my current client, most contractors here are working on some critical projects, the client cannot afford for the projects to stop, the client also really doesn't want to pay more, hence contract re-writes are in operation.

Comment

It's not the contractor's that are crucial to the business, it's the role they do. So if thst role is crucial more time will be spent ensuring its outside. If its one of 20 contract PMs then maybe not so.

IMO it's wrong and more risky to assess a contractor outside so should be the role. Same outcome, just better terminology and less risk.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
          Absolutely. The very definition of a place with 99% permietractors.

Pre 2008 there was much less of that, although I would describe the atmosphere as completely toxic. If RBS disappeared entirely the other banking companies would be adequate to fill in the perceived gap in the market. It deserves to die, as it is now full of pretend roles and relatively pointless projects providing the illusion of progress.
          Bloody hell! I vaguely remember RBS building, just outside the Angel underground station. I interview there in 2007 for a plonker.

Very recently, I had one of the consultancies tried to sell me an inside gig from WeWork office run by InfoSys people. I declined and stop the application process. Maybe one day, these companies might get it together. As some entrepreneurial consultant once said, "Cheap eventually turns out to be expensive junk [ the majority of the time 99.9% ]"

Comment

Originally posted by Dhrucku View Post
            How can you get your contract re-written to prove you are outside? you either are outside on your current contract and you just carry on through April, or you always have been inside or am I missing something here? if they are currently engaged and their current contract takes them past April, what's the plan? stop the current contract and engage via a new re-written one?

Comment

Most of the contractors here are looking to jump before the transition. Leaving in dribs and drabs at the moment.

I think it's hitting the disguised employees the hardest, but I don't give a stuff about them. I think most of those clowns are going to allow their contracts to flip inside.

I've been looking around since December but there seems to be a Mexican stand-off insofar as agents are keen to put you forward, clients are keen to talk to you, but no one is signing on the dotted line...Hurry up and wait.

Applying in Germany at the moment. If that falls through I'll be just another contestant in the great HMRC musical chairs extravaganza of Spring 2020. Reckon there will be agents going into rehab by the end of it.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
                How can you get your contract re-written to prove you are outside? you either are outside on your current contract and you just carry on through April, or you always have been inside or am I missing something here? if they are currently engaged and their current contract takes them past April, what's the plan? stop the current contract and engage via a new re-written one?
                Yep.

Clients up until this point have not had to look into the role they were offering on paper and its relation to IR35, for the contractor they should have been able to get some tweaks as per QDOS advice and stick to WP etc etc. That's good enough for the contractor.

Now the client has the liability, the client has taken their own legal advice on how contracts should be written to cover IR35, while we are happy with QDOS tweaks, the client wants something a lot more water tight. These expected shiney new re-writes are excellent and what clients should have been providing in the first place instead of a 'QDOS initiated' hack to bog standard contracts that have been offered previously.

Comment

Originally posted by Si666 View Post
                  Most of the contractors here are looking to jump before the transition. Leaving in dribs and drabs at the moment.

I think it's hitting the disguised employees the hardest, but I don't give a stuff about them. I think most of those clowns are going to allow their contracts to flip inside.

I've been looking around since December but there seems to be a Mexican stand-off insofar as agents are keen to put you forward, clients are keen to talk to you, but no one is signing on the dotted line...Hurry up and wait.

Applying in Germany at the moment. If that falls through I'll be just another contestant in the great HMRC musical chairs extravaganza of Spring 2020. Reckon there will be agents going into rehab by the end of it.
                  Another 4 weeks to go, as soon as we can get into March, then the clients will have to have a position, and the agencies can stop hiding.

Comment

Originally posted by LetterBox View Post
                    Another 4 weeks to go, as soon as we can get into March, then the clients will have to have a position, and the agencies can stop hiding.
                    March and April potentially dead. Empty progress reports at the start of May will spark clients into life when they find out very little is getting delivered.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LetterBox View Post
                      The majority of places I've applied to have declared all inside, so can't see what the fuss is all about to be honest.

On the plus side, telephone conversation arranged just now with Hamburg client.

Comment

Working...
                      X