• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any clue how many of your fellow contractors are going inside?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Si666 View Post
    The majority of places I've applied to have declared all inside, so can't see what the fuss is all about to be honest.

On the plus side, telephone conversation arranged just now with Hamburg client.
    Are all the German gigs inside too ?

Comment

Originally posted by adubya View Post
      Are all the German gigs inside too ?
      One is outside, the other hasn't made a determination. Both avoid the German 183 day tax law. Beats sitting around waiting for the smelly stuff to hit the fan.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
        March and April potentially dead. Empty progress reports at the start of May will spark clients into life when they find out very little is getting delivered.
        Not so sure about that tbh.
        Most big banks here in UK are doing blanket bans and the word of mouth is nearly 90% of contractors are accepting to go inside via Umbrella or PAYE so forth. So I doubt it would be dead in the office...

Comment

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
          There are about 200 contractors at clientco - only 6 on the project I am on.

I am the only one (I know of) of our 6 who is quitting due to the blanket rules.

Everyone else seems to be accepting the income cut and carrying on.

What are others seeing at clientcos ?
          Just to provide my answer to OP's question..

At my place, I started this recent gig of mine just less than four months ago - with a respectable large enterprise.

I think i'm in a similar boat to you. I'm only 1 of many who is quiting due to the blanket. Everyone here seemed to accept go inside via Brolly thus taking a cut.

I think to them, constant flow of income is far more important than anything else, and tbh, I don't really blame that much. Afterall, most of them are in their 40s who have a youngish family to run with hell of a lot of expenses. If I had an family and in need of constant income, I would probably act the same (unless I have a massive warchest built up - but as of yet I don't unfortunately).

And they say they require at least £100K perm job to compensate but they don't think they stand a chance of landing even a £50K+ salary of a perm job elsewhere Also, they not willing to change to a new environment (they've been there for over 10+ years). They are very loyal indeed. So fair dos. But sorry, I'm out.

Comment

Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post
            [···](they've been there for over 10+ years). They are very loyal indeed.
            Not very clever though, if HMRC starts pursuing them they'll owe way more than they can even imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by dsc View Post
              Not very clever though, if HMRC starts pursuing them they'll owe way more than they can even imagine.
              I really do hope hmrc decide to investigate them. Disgusting human beings, that's what these "contractors" are..

What kind of contractor stays at the same place for 10+ years. They're the reason hmrc have started this whole ir35 thing in the first place.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
                I really do hope hmrc decide to investigate them. Disgusting human beings, that's what these "contractors" are..

What kind of contractor stays at the same place for 10+ years. They're the reason hmrc have started this whole ir35 thing in the first place.
                If that was true there'd be a time limit for a contract in the IR35 legislation. There isn't.
                See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post
                  Just to provide my answer to OP's question..

At my place, I started this recent gig of mine just less than four months ago - with a respectable large enterprise.

I think i'm in a similar boat to you. I'm only 1 of many who is quiting due to the blanket. Everyone here seemed to accept go inside via Brolly thus taking a cut.

I think to them, constant flow of income is far more important than anything else, and tbh, I don't really blame that much. Afterall, most of them are in their 40s who have a youngish family to run with hell of a lot of expenses. If I had an family and in need of constant income, I would probably act the same (unless I have a massive warchest built up - but as of yet I don't unfortunately).

And they say they require at least £100K perm job to compensate but they don't think they stand a chance of landing even a £50K+ salary of a perm job elsewhere Also, they not willing to change to a new environment (they've been there for over 10+ years). They are very loyal indeed. So fair dos. But sorry, I'm out.
                  This is insane behaviour, they are risking an almighty and no doubt ruinous tax bill if they can't go a month or two on the bench. I echo other comments, these permietractors have ruined it for everyone else. I don't think I've stayed longer than 18 months anywhere just to be on the safe side, but 10 years? 90% of permies wouldn't have stayed somewhere that long.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
                    10 years? 90% of permies wouldn't have stayed somewhere that long.
                    I have worked on several gigs where contractors stayed longer than the "permies".

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post

Exactly.

they are what we call "permitractors". I been chatting to many of them daily and constant questioned their decision. They always admit that themselves are not geniune contractors (in their own words). But yet, they are happy to be doing what they're doing.

So when I heard that, I concluded that: they acknowledged themselves are permietractors and they basically operate under this PSC model soley to gain a financial advantage.

Comment

Working...
                      X