• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any clue how many of your fellow contractors are going inside?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I said exactly this many months ago.
    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...st2689223.html

I even had a chat with a few people about the idea but didn't get any traction.

Surprised it didn't happen tbh
    Main difference: I was joking as its a rubbish idea

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
      Main difference: I was joking as its a rubbish idea
      Bollocks...

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The experienced contractors and I include myself in that, have told clientco....thanks for all the fish and we’re off. All of us have new contract roles lined up.

The rest have looked at the market and are on such a cushy number, they have gambled and taken umbrella or permie at the same client they have been at for 2-9 years and hope for no retrospective investigations.
        Last edited by BABABlackSheep; 7 February 2020, 07:34.

Comment

Originally posted by BABABlackSheep View Post
          All of us have new contract roles lined up.

who's that with? - Uber?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            ...have you thought about how much you will potentially lose looking for the unicorn poop that will be an outside gig. 80% less outside gigs, 80% more people going for it?
            i agree that it definitely would at least 80% less outside gigs. but i don't agree with the " 80% more people going for it" simply because it doesn't seem 80% of the contractors are calling quit. Maybe i'm wrong, as its impossible to know exact, but it looks like to me anyways 80% of the contracting people are going inside (PAYE, Umbrella, Perm).

so the way i see it is the remaining 20% going for the remaining 20% outside gigs. ratio wise doesn't make any difference at all to before.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
              Quite a lot I would expect are living like permies - maxing dividends and spending it like a permie take-home - LV bags for the girls, Hugo Boss suits for the guys, big wine bills, etc.
              Not just that, I know a few people where they have been saying their contracting revenue is their whole family income. they struggle to accept the decrease in it because that's their only source of income.

For example, for one guy i know, he have a young family, 3 kids ages between 7 - 10. started contracting around 30 years old, now in his early 40s. numerous expenses, tutor fees, kids swimming classes fees, numerous subscriptions to media/entertainment (sky, virgin media, now tv, spotify, amazon prime, netflix etc.. the whole lot), regular family holidays, buys LVs & burberries... You can imagine how his income going be affected! he's gone inside.

I casually asked him doesn't his wife work. He replied; for the last 10 years or so his wife have been taking care of kids, Fair enough.
              I hinted that now his kids are of a good age, perhaps she can start work again or even do part time to help out.
              He then replied; no, her place is in the house, taking care of the kids, and cooking dinner for him when he gets home. Oh, this guy works 8 till 8 btw.

Blimey!.. I thought, a bit of a dinosaur mindset.. no wonder he's gone inside, he's been basically doing double salary for his family.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                who's that with? - Uber?

ClientCo made their IR35 decision over 4 months ago now. We work in a major city, so new contracts are still hard to find, but they do exist.

I’m not aware of anyone who’s “actively” been looking for a new contract role in that time that hasn’t found something. Most are inside roles currently.

I know a few who are just chilling for a few months.

I know many who have either gone permie, or are going brolly and then going permie(takes a while for roles to become available).
                Last edited by BABABlackSheep; 7 February 2020, 07:47.

Comment

Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post
                  Not just that, I know a few people where they have been saying their contracting revenue is their whole family income. they struggle to accept the decrease in it because that's their only source of income.

For example, for one guy i know, he have a young family, 3 kids ages between 7 - 10. started contracting around 30 years old, now in his early 40s. numerous expenses, tutor fees, kids swimming classes fees, numerous subscriptions to media/entertainment (sky, virgin media, now tv, spotify, amazon prime, netflix etc.. the whole lot), regular family holidays, buys LVs & burberries... You can imagine how his income going be affected! he's gone inside.

I casually asked him doesn't his wife work. He replied; for the last 10 years or so his wife have been taking care of kids, Fair enough.
                  I hinted that now his kids are of a good age, perhaps she can start work again or even do part time to help out.
                  He then replied; no, her place is in the house, taking care of the kids, and cooking dinner for him when he gets home. Oh, this guy works 8 till 8 btw.

Blimey!.. I thought, a bit of a dinosaur mindset.. no wonder he's gone inside, he's been basically doing double salary for his family.
                  And I'm sure the wife has 50% shares in the ltd and takes a salary + dividends for literally doing feck all. Maximum tax avoidance...I've got no sympathy for these people.

Making contractor money and spending it like it's a permie salary. It's just stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post

I know loads like this, they started contracting, the wife stopped work, bought a massive house, fancy car etc etc. The outgoings simply went up to match the increased income. They are now in a position where not contracting for them is not an option. Which becomes a real problem when contracting faces an existential crisis such as the current one.

I was the complete opposite, I'm a natural worrier and always concerned the good times would end have invested every spare penny. The wife also kept up with her career and now hers is looking considerably brighter than mine.

Comment

I'll be going inside elsewhere if I cannot secure a long outside extension at my current clientco.

Unless there is a consistent method for companies to be confident in securing the services of a PSC legally in an outside role (those that have not policy removed PSCs already), then expect a tap on the shoulder at any point to say things have changed and your outside contract is terminated, inside only.

Comment

Working...
                      X