• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Any clue how many of your fellow contractors are going inside?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CompoundOverload View Post
    Why do you need to tweak working practices (or even have them) if the client has SDS you as outside (and you have this in writing)?
    I didn't - hence my comments about being outside from the start even when HR were nervous

Others did to put them outside i.e. customer made working practices outside friendly.

Comment

I thought all my colleagues contractors (10-15 people) were going stay at current client and accept being rolled to inside ir35 BUT turns out 3 are now leaving: 2 of them have been here for less than 12 months and judging by their linkedin profile they never worked at the same client for longer than 18 months, so they are legit contractors. The other one that's leaving has been staying at current client for almost 5 years, but at least is being smarter than the other permietractors who are staying.

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
        I thought all my colleagues contractors (10-15 people) were going stay at current client and accept being rolled to inside ir35 BUT turns out 3 are now leaving: 2 of them have been here for less than 12 months and judging by their linkedin profile they never worked at the same client for longer than 18 months, so they are legit contractors. The other one that's leaving has been staying at current client for almost 5 years, but at least is being smarter than the other permietractors who are staying.
        Wow you've solved it. So anyone who contracts at a client for less than 18 months is a genuine contractor and is safe from HMRC forever. And anyone that has contracted at a client for many years is a tax evader, a 'permietractor', because they have managed to secure many years of work from that client - what awful business sense they have had!

Best write to HMRC to let them know what a genius you are. HMRC will no doubt want to update their rulebook ASAP, not least to add a legal definition for 'permietractor'. Maybe throw in 'evosion' just for good measure while you're there.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          Wow you've solved it. So anyone who contracts at a client for less than 18 months is a genuine contractor and is safe from HMRC forever. And anyone that has contracted at a client for many years is a tax evader, a 'permietractor', because they have managed to secure many years of work from that client - what awful business sense they have had!

Best write to HMRC to let them know what a genius you are. HMRC will no doubt want to update their rulebook ASAP, not least to add a legal definition for 'permietractor'. Maybe throw in 'evosion' just for good measure while you're there.
          must have struck the permietractor nerve, I see.

<mod snip>
          Last edited by Contractor UK; 17 February 2020, 12:36. Reason: Not in prof forums

Comment

Originally posted by PCTNN View Post
            must have struck the permietractor nerve, I see.

<mod snip>
            Not really. It's just not terribly smart comment to have made and could easily merit sarcasm. Not was the bit that is now snipped. Anyway. If you want to take it further, start a post in General.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Beh. 3.5 years with current client. Yes yes I know but usual is 18-24 months, bad timing to go long, to put it mildly... Blanket ban communicated through agency, contract end end of March. I assume this means I won't actually get a determination, not sure if this is good or bad?

I want to stay, they want me to stay, offer me permie, offer me inside... I would take either because I like it there but... I am having trouble accepting the increased risk of an investigation. That's a £40k liability - years of hard graft to pay off that chunky lump. I would feel like a right plonker if the hammer came down, especially when all I had to do was move (and I have been there too long anyway and am becoming intitutionalised).

Leaving decreases risk for sure. My contract for the last year is pretty watertight (outside), but before that... wasn't.

Still not sure. If the legislation could be amended to prevent retrospective... but I can't see how this would be feasible in reality. And who trusts HMRC anyway? Loan Charge anyone?

Work in telco. Suspect they will change their approach to use NTT/Wipro/Infosys/Accenture bods instead. Not sure this is the right approach for the business but... it ain't my business so...

Some other contractors have gone permie already, but no idea what most are planning as I am never in the office. I will ask and report back.
              Last edited by SouWester; 17 February 2020, 20:46.

Comment

40k liability for 3.5 years reto tax? And the rest. JLJ partial loss meant he was liable for 4 years and it cost him 140k.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  40k liability for 3.5 years reto tax? And the rest. JLJ partial loss meant he was liable for 4 years and it cost him 140k.
                  Holy moly!

Awww geez...

Err, is JLJ a person? And, what's a partial loss?

And, I'm gonna take a stab and suggest you're a Johnny Cash fan northernladuk?

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by SouWester View Post
                      Holy moly!

Awww geez...

Err, is JLJ a person? And, what's a partial loss?

And, I'm gonna take a stab and suggest you're a Johnny Cash fan northernladuk?
                      Ahhh. My bad. 141k was for the 7 years but he had it reduced to four. Bugger. Sorry. Need to find the other thread and correct thst as well.

New IR35 ruling: Partial victory for JLJ Services v HMRC
                      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X