• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Post April impact on recruitment agents

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not going to get into it too much, but I take recruiter-bashing with a pinch of salt, and I'm seeing hints of it in this thread. The fact of the matter is a lot of contractors, especially those not yet with their own network built up, will be using recruiters for majority of their opportunities. They're a vital part of the game.

To answer the question, recruiters will undoubtedly take a hit while the market's on it's head, of course they will. I'd be very, very surprised if every, what would be, contract opportunity is still out there but now inside/perm instead. It's a case of waiting while clients sort themselves out and stop needlessly panicking. During that time, how are people suggesting recruiters are going to be as busy?

Comment

increased turnover in this period. Maybe they are on fixed % but they’ll push the margins up(as we can see), play tricks with the invoices. Charge the client for extra that does not go to you.
      An example is the ‘08 crisis where they were very busy and most agencies showed a profit.
      At an old client they would call around and ask: “how low can you go”.(while being in contract)
      Yes, probably long term it will be less of them but if you think your job is not equally at threat(outsourced , replaced by cheap resources etc) than you should think again.

Recruiter bashing is not nice but they should know their place. Most of them believe the contract is theirs and they are doing you a favour by letting you do the work.

Comment

I am a SAP contractor. Most of the agents that I work with have opened offices in Europe. The UK market is only a small percentage of their turnover. I would accept a contract under 6 months in the UK even if it's inside IR35 as the tax rates in Belgium are higher.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Contractor UK Forum mobile app

Comment

Originally posted by Brussels Slumdog View Post
          I am a SAP contractor. Most of the agents that I work with have opened offices in Europe. The UK market is only a small percentage of their turnover. I would accept a contract under 6 months in the UK even if it's inside IR35 as the tax rates in Belgium are higher.

Where do you get your advice on tax etc per country? Im also an SAP contractor, now looking and the UK is dead. Im ready to go Europe, Germany seems to be very busy and popular. Who can I use for advice?

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
            or fresh out of school burger flippers
            Most of them have degrees - but with the sort of degrees they would end up flipping burgers with normally - media studies and such like...

Comment

Do you guys mean SAP ABAP/BW or SAP BI/BO?
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

They'll still be finding new and novel ways of screwing us on rate.

Sink or swim time for us all.

qh
                He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Europe is dead for English speakers. Just because I speak French at home doesn't mean that I know what a costing variant is in French.I have never seen a SAP book in Dutch or French.
                  Originally posted by exsapuk View Post
                  Where do you get your advice on tax etc per country? Im also an SAP contractor, now looking and the UK is dead. Im ready to go Europe, Germany seems to be very busy and popular. Who can I use for advice?

Comment

Working...
                  X