• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interviewed by Offshore Resource

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interviewed by Offshore Resource

For the first time in ng 14 years as a contractor I was interviewed by an Offshore resource. It was unbelievable. He seemed to be unable to grasp being a PM outside basic techniques then rejected my services.

Anyone else experienced that? Even though the core team are in London and the offshore team support they felt they were able to make a decision on second stage from what seemed like a very inexperienced team.

Shame as the work was outside ir35.

Originally posted by Hawkeye View Post
    For the first time in ng 14 years as a contractor I was interviewed by an Offshore resource. It was unbelievable. He seemed to be unable to grasp being a PM outside basic techniques then rejected my services.

Anyone else experienced that? Even though the core team are in London and the offshore team support they felt they were able to make a decision on second stage from what seemed like a very inexperienced team.

Shame as the work was outside ir35.
    They already had their guy ready. You were interviewed to make up the numbers.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
      I thought that but the agent said that they had more interviews & I was the only one with specific experience of the product. Don't know maybe am giving them too much credit and you are 100% right.
      Last edited by Hawkeye; 1 February 2020, 10:53.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
        More specifically, it's a 'due diligence' exercise to prove there is no suitable resource within the UK and so they need to bring in someone from another continent.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          More specifically, it's a 'due diligence' exercise to prove there is no suitable resource within the UK and so they need to bring in someone from another continent.
          They interviewed, the candidates weren't up to the job, they bring in the offshore resource.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

They specifically request a lot of bollocks in a formal e-mail so that they have the paper trail.
            If you get one of those 10 questions e-mail, you know not to waste your time.

Comment

Interesting. Never experienced it before. Normally I'm contacted about a specific project and nobody is in frame for the work. Assume it will happen more these days with where we are heading.

Comment

I had this once - they missed the first interview and then the actual interview turned into a massive argument because they asked me a couple of non-sensical questions, and then tried to say I was wrong. I was not wrong, and robustly defended my position given I'd already decided I didn't fancy the role.

They actually phoned me a few days later to set up a second interview, but I declined.

Comment

This is how they tend to work.

1. They agree to your rate and take your CV
                  2. Conduct a formal useless interview
                  3. Ask one their offshore resource to amend his/her CV like yours
                  4. Send one of theirs amended CV to the client in UK
                  5. Conduct interview using their own resource for their own resource

Unless there is a very strict Visa requirements, it is unlikely that you will hear from them again. Recently I had a role in Brussels and got it (I am no longer in that role) only because of strict visa rules. When I started the work I met the guy who interviewed me. He was there for 2 weeks on Business Visa as other visas take more than 3 months of processing for one year of stay. Guess what he is a complete newbie in Cloud and Big Data and doesn't have a clue.

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
                    This is how they tend to work.

1. They agree to your rate and take your CV
                    2. Conduct a formal useless interview
                    3. Ask one their offshore resource to amend his/her CV like yours
                    4. Send one of theirs amended CV to the client in UK
                    5. Conduct interview using their own resource for their own resource

Is there any way to combat this? This is clearly anti-competitive activity which should be illegal.

Comment

Working...
                    X