• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Nothing to worry about?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nothing to worry about?

I've got a good friend who works in the public sector - works in management.

He says after it all died down they started giving out lots of outside ir35 contracts, so don't worry, the private sector will be the same in a year's time.

Anyone else heard the same about the public sector ? I thought all their contracts now were inside ir35...

Originally posted by LouC View Post

He says after it all died down they started giving out lots of outside ir35 contracts, so don't worry, the private sector will be the same in a year's time.

Anyone else heard the same about the public sector ? I thought all their contracts now were inside ir35...
    I've just started a ps contract & they made me go umbrella with the expectation that they'll want to switch it to a FTC after the initial contract. No idea what the terms of that wil be yet..
    If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

There is probably a shred of truth in that but don't expect it to all die down quite as quickly.

Plan for the worst, hope for the best.

Comment

Lots isn't really describing the reality.. Yes they started badly and some places came around. I'm starting back at my old client outside after leaving because everything went inside so they've got a better grasp but it took two years and there are still a majority of inside gigs. It's most definitely not fixed, just a bit better.

I think it's going to take a lot more than a year or two before any of the major decisions are reversed to start making any difference. That's the optimistic side of me. I don't forsee some of the big players ever coming back.

Contracting has changed. It might get a bit better but I don't think it's going to be anything like it used to be ever again.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Basically if you've got genuine niche skills that are really tough to source, clients are likely to make the effort to put you outside. If your skills are more generic (even if you really are brilliant), it's much less likely.

Comment

Originally posted by Amanensia View Post
            Basically if you've got genuine niche skills that are really tough to source, clients are likely to make the effort to put you outside. If your skills are more generic (even if you really are brilliant), it's much less likely.
            Which is very true but I would hope they would do an assessment on the role regardless of who they want to fill it. Doing assessments to suit certain individuals could lead to contrived situations that don't match reality and you we are back to square one. If the role they want to fill is niche then, absolutely, take it as an outside role with all the correct working practices and then get a contractor in to fill that role. I don't like the idea of a client create a determination based on the person they want.

Ok ok once the client has determined it then it's their problem but what will happen further down the line? Things change, HMRC start investigating again as normal regardless of clients determinations and the contractor is potentially at risk? It's an unknown but the client doing the right thing for the role will negate all this.

Pedantic point and I'll bet that's what you really meant.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Which is very true but I would hope they would do an assessment on the role regardless of who they want to fill it. Doing assessments to suit certain individuals could lead to contrived situations that don't match reality and you we are back to square one. If the role they want to fill is niche then, absolutely, take it as an outside role with all the correct working practices and then get a contractor in to fill that role. I don't like the idea of a client create a determination based on the person they want.

Ok ok once the client has determined it then it's their problem but what will happen further down the line? Things change, HMRC start investigating again as normal regardless of clients determinations and the contractor is potentially at risk? It's an unknown but the client doing the right thing for the role will negate all this.

Pedantic point and I'll bet that's what you really meant.
              And actually, just because a role requires a niche skill, doesn't make it any more likely to be outside imo
              If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
                And actually, just because a role requires a niche skill, doesn't make it any more likely to be outside imo
                Not in and of itself, no. But it puts you in a much stronger bargaining position when it comes to setting up working practices etc the way you want - because there aren't 50+ other people all bidding to do the role for less money/less hassle than you.

Comment

He says after it all died down they started giving out lots of outside ir35 contracts through IT service companies like DXC, Capita, Computercenter, Fujitsu, CGI, so don't worry, the private sector will be the same in a year's time.

A slight correction.

Comment

Bottom line is..

Nothing to worry about?
                    Yes there is.

Comment

Working...
                    X