• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Think I've screwed up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    RBS? - i had the times of my life there.

almost always with the same team(s) of mixed perms and scumbags
    only tulip was change control PM's who didn't actually have any idea as to what was going on.
    they could be bypassed though.
    six? projects
    excellent rates.
    god bless the flying arsehole

oh, and latterly, mostly remotely serviced.

I was just bored, the job was exceptionally dull.

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
      So I started a new contract last Monday. Public sector, umbrella, four months. Almost from the off i got the feeling I've made a big mistake.
      The person who interviewed me had phoned in sick (still off) so I got given a laptop & shown where stuff was on SharePoint. It's 100% hot desking. There's only an 'acting PM' who seems like he's worse than a man short. Any time I ask a question of anyone I get mumbles or blank looks. I don't know why I'm there.
      So anyway, I'm normally really positive but I'm very down about it. I feel trapped. Like my only choice is to stay or sell my house and go on benefits. I know it's only been a week & I'm being very dramatic about it but still.. I don't know what to do.
      And I'm aware this is rambling so should it be in general? [emoji23]
      We've all had that feeling at some time. Try to make friends with one or two other contractors if there are any. At least you can then compare notes. As others have said, be patient with it and just keep invoicing - up to a point. But if you really, really can't stand it, leave. Life is too short to be putting up with hell, even for 4 months.

My only public sector experience was with a university. I lasted two weeks before leaving, due to the hiring manager being a raving lunatic. Even after a few days I was onto the agent explaining this. They had an onsite Greggs, which was the only good part of that gig.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Sounds like you fit in perfectly.

Yep.. I was right.
        Too old for working my nuts off and working all night NLUK.

I'd rather be a bit bored, get home to see my kids, and still earn a good wedge....
        Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
          So I started a new contract last Monday. Public sector, umbrella, four months. Almost from the off i got the feeling I've made a big mistake.
          The person who interviewed me had phoned in sick (still off) so I got given a laptop & shown where stuff was on SharePoint. It's 100% hot desking. There's only an 'acting PM' who seems like he's worse than a man short. Any time I ask a question of anyone I get mumbles or blank looks. I don't know why I'm there.
          So anyway, I'm normally really positive but I'm very down about it. I feel trapped. Like my only choice is to stay or sell my house and go on benefits. I know it's only been a week & I'm being very dramatic about it but still.. I don't know what to do.
          And I'm aware this is rambling so should it be in general? [emoji23]
          Reminds me of a job I went for and got at Yorkshire Electricity back in 2001. It will only go downhill from here!

Went to interview, person who was due to interview me 'couldnt make it' so sent two other guys along. They just told me what the job was in general terms and could I do it. In the end, I interviewed them and they were just answering my questions. All very good and jovial and I guess alarm bells should have been ringing.

Anyway 10 days later I rock up to start and the person who should have interviewed me was again 'too busy' but had left me some reading to do. 3 weeks later and despite asking to get started, she's still giving me stuff to read. It's becoming clear she hasnt a clue and couldnt manage a fart never mind manage work streams. I said I thought I really needed to be working on stuff and be productive.

After about another 3 weeks so almost halfway through the contract, she comes out with a cock and bull story to shunt me and 2 other contractors she'd told would be extending into a side room. We had diddly squat to do but they paid us for turning up.

I laughed at her when she said she wouldnt be offering an extension to me. I said you offered those 2 extensions then backtracked, what makes you think Im even looking to extend here when you've given me sweet FA to do for the last 13 weeks?

If it's just 4 months, keep your professional attitude, ask what you can do and use the time to upskill. Them say goodbye when the contract ends and move on.
          I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
            couldnt manage a fart
            Haha I'm using that
            If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
              Your plan is simple. Look helpful, keep busy - market research, local procedures, documentation etc, keep invoicing
              I'd suggest that list is not in priority order

Comment

Working...
              X