• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Think I've screwed up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Think I've screwed up

So I started a new contract last Monday. Public sector, umbrella, four months. Almost from the off i got the feeling I've made a big mistake.
    The person who interviewed me had phoned in sick (still off) so I got given a laptop & shown where stuff was on SharePoint. It's 100% hot desking. There's only an 'acting PM' who seems like he's worse than a man short. Any time I ask a question of anyone I get mumbles or blank looks. I don't know why I'm there.
    So anyway, I'm normally really positive but I'm very down about it. I feel trapped. Like my only choice is to stay or sell my house and go on benefits. I know it's only been a week & I'm being very dramatic about it but still.. I don't know what to do.
    And I'm aware this is rambling so should it be in general? [emoji23]
    If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
    So I started a new contract last Monday. Public sector, umbrella, four months. Almost from the off i got the feeling I've made a big mistake.
    The person who interviewed me had phoned in sick (still off) so I got given a laptop & shown where stuff was on SharePoint. It's 100% hot desking. There's only an 'acting PM' who seems like he's worse than a man short. Any time I ask a question of anyone I get mumbles or blank looks. I don't know why I'm there.
    So anyway, I'm normally really positive but I'm very down about it. I feel trapped. Like my only choice is to stay or sell my house and go on benefits. I know it's only been a week & I'm being very dramatic about it but still.. I don't know what to do.
    And I'm aware this is rambling so should it be in general? [emoji23]
    You're going to get some off-hand replies here, based on what I've seen lately from CUK, so prepare for that.

Specific to your question of what to do though, what exactly is it you're worried about? Specifically.

Comment

Pfft. 4 months. Time flies.

Bank the cash and in the meantime start looking for your next role.

It'll be over before you know it.

Comment

keep taking their money while you look for something else.

Comment

I don't know why I'm there.
          You've come to the right place. We can help. Many times I've been sitting in a client office where I've no idea what I'm going to do and neither have they. I've had it go on for a month or more. Eventually they give you something. It's probably chaotic and dysfunctional but most places are in my experience.

Your plan is simple. Look helpful, keep busy - market research, local procedures, documentation etc, keep invoicing
          "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by DevUK View Post
            You're going to get some off-hand replies here, based on what I've seen lately from CUK, so prepare for that.

Specific to your question of what to do though, what exactly is it you're worried about? Specifically.
            You've replied with that then asked him to consider if he should be asking this stuff on mumsnet instead?

Questions that should be asked:
            Easy commute?
            Decent food nearby?
            Decent day rate?

If yes to all, mtfu and keep billing.
            If no, start looking.
            The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

I feel trapped. Like my only choice is to stay or sell my house and go on benefits.
              Well then I think you've answered the question. If your choice is to do work you don't enjoy to support yourself (and your family?) or to face financial ruin because for whatever reason you can't afford not to be in work, then you do the work and look for something better.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by Cirrus View Post
                You've come to the right place. We can help. Many times I've been sitting in a client office where I've no idea what I'm going to do and neither have they. I've had it go on for a month or more. Eventually they give you something. It's probably chaotic and dysfunctional but most places are in my experience.

Your plan is simple. Look helpful, keep busy - market research, local procedures, documentation etc, keep invoicing
                spot on

Comment

Originally posted by DevUK View Post

I think I just wanted to have a rant tbh. I've been in this position before but I think what's bothering me is that before I would have made the decision to leave & just move on. Now I don't think I have that option with the way the market is & I feel cornered.
                  If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

I had exactly the same to the letter. I managed 6 weeks and left. I asked to go early and explained why and there was no benefit to either to work notice. They agreed and said once I'd done a hand over we'd call it a day. Arrived back at her desk 10 mins later to shake her hand and left.

Life is just not worth gigs like that. First time in 15 years I almost couldn't face going in to work. Never again.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X