• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remote day rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote day rate?

Is it typical to take a lower day rate on the days you work remote? I've not come across it before, seems a bit thrifty for me. On one of my previous projects I spent a whole month remote on the same day rate. It was only £430 per day but even still.

Originally posted by ApeShape View Post
    Is it typical to take a lower day rate on the days you work remote? I've not come across it before, seems a bit thrifty for me. On one of my previous projects I spent a whole month remote on the same day rate. It was only £430 per day but even still.
    Nope. Sounds off, sounds very off.

Comment

They should pay for your work regardless of location. It's your skill and expertise they get for their money. That said...

You may find a gig more attractive if it was permanently home based and accept a lower rate overall for the benefit to you. That's just negotiation before you accept.

I've never seen a rate vary depending on where you work. Maybe it's a clever play on delivering benefit to you for less cost for them. Could be attractive to contractors that stay away like me but I'd have to see the details.

Could just be them taking the piss.

Proceed carefully. Read, question and understand everything.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 4 February 2020, 14:22.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Yes I've had this. I had a rate for being in one of three office locations and then a rate for being at home, which was £75.00 a day less. I found out when I started that apparently one of the directors came up with it as he thought that if contractors didn't have the expense of getting to the office & staying over, then they shouldn't be paid the same rate. My argument was that the rate is for the work, not where it's based but it came down to a choice of take it or leave it.
        Personally I thought the agency were spinning it all wrong anyway. I would have said you get paid £75.00 a day more for going into the office, rather than the other way around!
        If you don't have anything nice to say, say it sarcastically

Comment

It's not normal or standard, but at the end of the day, it's a business to business relationship and both parties can agree whatever they want.

I've taken lower rates contingent on the role being 90% remote, I've taken retainer rates, I've negotiated a specific London rate and probably other stuff.

I've never seen this stuff in what I'd describe as "bog stock" roles, but they're discussions I've had when working direct with clients etc. At the end of the day, so long as you're happy with it then what's the problem. If you're unhappy, negotiate!

Comment

Originally posted by KinooOrKinog View Post
            Yes I've had this. I had a rate for being in one of three office locations and then a rate for being at home, which was £75.00 a day less. I found out when I started that apparently one of the directors came up with it as he thought that if contractors didn't have the expense of getting to the office & staying over, then they shouldn't be paid the same rate. My argument was that the rate is for the work, not where it's based but it came down to a choice of take it or leave it.
            Personally I thought the agency were spinning it all wrong anyway. I would have said you get paid £75.00 a day more for going into the office, rather than the other way around!
            That would be enough to get me in there 5 days a week :-D

Comment

I've never been asked to have a different rate for in/out of a client site. I can't see how that could be easily administered / enforced without someone taking a register each day of who turned up and when (ooh...is that nudging on SDC territory?). What if you did half a day at home and half at the office?

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                I've never been asked to have a different rate for in/out of a client site. I can't see how that could be easily administered / enforced without someone taking a register each day of who turned up and when (ooh...is that nudging on SDC territory?). What if you did half a day at home and half at the office?
                You'd be losing £ 37.50!

Comment

I was at a client where the journey time was a total of 3 hours a day. After a few months I found the travel grinding me down so I negotiated to work at home full time, in exchange for a 12% rate cut. The £ was less important to me at that point, and certainly it meant more to me to save 3 hours of my time each day.

So it's a personal choice influenced by the specific circumstances of your contract.

Negotiate a home rate you're happy with and then tell the client you'll be working at home full time

Comment

I never charge less for working remotely. The client is getting the same amount of work and expertise in either case.

Comment

Working...
                    X