• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Inside IR35 - red-flagging client's outside IR35 contractors?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Inside IR35 - red-flagging client's outside IR35 contractors?

First post here so usual apology in advance for if I've missed an existing similar thread or posted to the wrong place.

End clients often fill roles using contractors who deem themselves outside IR35. I wonder whether those same clients when recruiting for the same role but specifying inside IR35 when recruiting, will be lining up their previous outside IR35 contractors for HMRC investigation.

If the client is using the required diligence to make an inside IR35 determination then why would HMRC not look at that client's historic outside IR35 contracts?

(As a long time contractor exclusively in the private sector and always outside IR35.)

Don't with to be rude but it's about 6 weeks before this hits. It's being discussed endlessly a number of times a day for the last 3 months. We even have a sticky thread explaining this. 10s of thousands of contractors are in this position with official determinations already landing so far too late for this type of question really.

Look in the accounting section and you'll find an IR35 Reform subsection. It's all in there.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Don't with to be rude but it's about 6 weeks before this hits. It's being discussed endlessly a number of times a day for the last 3 months. We even have a sticky thread explaining this. 10s of thousands of contractors are in this position with official determinations already landing so far too late for this type of question really.

Look in the accounting section and you'll find an IR35 Reform subsection. It's all in there.
      Good job I apologised in advance! I'm afraid that I'm not living and breathing this forum like others.

My question was rhetorical. Perhaps you'd be so kind as to point me specifically to the thread that discusses the point I raise.

Comment

Well I'd say it's a topic that gets discussed in pretty much every thread in the IR35 reform board as many discussions start in one place and meander about a bit.

Have you tried searching for the term "retrospective" ?

If you're after something definitive, I'd say: HMRC say they won't do it but their wording is sufficiently weasely and there is such a lack of trust in the organisation that no-one believes them. Therefore the majority think outside to inside at the same client, doing the same work, is a Very.Bad.Idea

There's a lot of chat and nonsense to wade through but getting up to speed on the sticky post is a good place to start.

Comment

Originally posted by steve310 View Post
          Good job I apologised in advance! I'm afraid that I'm not living and breathing this forum like others.

My question was rhetorical. Perhaps you'd be so kind as to point me specifically to the thread that discusses the point I raise.
          I told you where they are. Go to Accounting / Legal. There is a sub forum call IR35 Reforms. All in there.

Here is the sticky in that area for starters.
          https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...st2684385.html
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
          X