• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 - Switching Tax Residency Overseas But Staying With UK Client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    If you leave and all indications are you plan to leave permanently (i.e. not return within 5 years), you'll be considered non-tax resident immediately. While it's possible to do this and, e.g. rent out your house rather than selling it, the more ties you have, the more the risk of being labelled tax resident in the UK as well.
    Completely agreed, but it's also possible to return within 5 years and not be liable for income earned abroad, but you would be liable for certain capital gains. This is where having a good accountant is really worth their fee.

Originally posted by Hector
    If you return to the UK within 5 years

You may have to pay tax on certain income or gains made while you were non-resident. This doesn’t include wages or other employment income.

Comment

Originally posted by Jolie View Post
      Completely agreed, but it's also possible to return within 5 years and not be liable for income earned abroad, but you would be liable for certain capital gains. This is where having a good accountant is really worth their fee.
      The temporary non-residence rules also apply to dividends, but they apply to (dividends on) profits and (gains on) assets held prior to departure. It's also worth noting that "5 years" is a shorthand for something significantly more complex.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
        The temporary non-residence rules also apply to dividends, but they apply to (dividends on) profits and (gains on) assets held prior to departure. It's also worth noting that "5 years" is a shorthand for something significantly more complex.
        Agreed, the wording specifically states income from employment, so if you have a company setup abroad you may be liable for dividends income.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
          Just to further clarify on your comment, you were referring to UK based dividends income and capital gains, which of course would come under "other" income.

I was referring to income earned abroad from the work you do for the UK client.

Comment

Just to further clarify on your comment, you were referring to UK based dividends income and capital gains, which of course would come under "other" income.

I was referring to income earned abroad from the work you do for the UK client.
            Right, income earned abroad (when not UK tax resident) is taxed abroad and no further tax should be due on return. The anti-avoidance legislation is purely designed to stop someone moving abroad for a minimum period of non-residence in order to avoid CGT or dividend tax.

Comment

Non-residency for tax requires you pass a number of tests, one of which is that you must not be in the UK more than 90 days per year, and no more than 30 of those for work purposes. If you are working on your client site for 3 days per week, then you are tax resident and IR35 applies.
              Seems there's a lot of hearsay and misleading information on that forum

The 90 days refer to the Automatic Overseas Tests. If you fail them, then you go to the Automatic UK Tests and Sufficient Ties Tests.

I certainly can be here more than 90 days, and work more than 30 days and still be non-resident for tax purposes!

Comment

Originally posted by skysies View Post
                Seems there's a lot of hearsay and misleading information on that forum

The 90 days refer to the Automatic Overseas Tests. If you fail them, then you go to the Automatic UK Tests and Sufficient Ties Tests.

I certainly can be here more than 90 days, and work more than 30 days and still be non-resident for tax purposes!
                I think you are the one misunderstood. If you pass them then you go to the UK Tests, then if you pass them you go to the Sufficient Ties Tests.

Originally posted by Hector
                You’ll not be considered resident in the UK for the whole tax year if you do not meet any of the following:

the automatic overseas tests
                the automatic UK tests
                the sufficient ties test
                It doesn't matter about the UK or Sufficient Ties Tests, if you fail the automatic overseas tests, its game over.

Comment

I think you are the one misunderstood. If you pass them then you go to the UK Tests, then if you pass them you go to the Sufficient Ties Tests.

It doesn't matter about the UK or Sufficient Ties Tests, if you fail the automatic overseas tests, its game over.
                  Sorry, but that's complete crap. If you fail the overseas tests, you go to the UK tests. By fail, I mean you answer NO to the questions.

If you pass, or answer YES, to the UK tests, you are considered a tax resident. One example is the question: Present in UK >183 days in the current tax year.

Comment

Originally posted by skysies View Post
                    IR35 would still apply if I work for ONE client only.
                    I don't think anyone has addressed this but this is completely wrong. Having more than one concurrent client could help you make the case that you are in business for yourself, rather than a disguised employee, but it is not a silver bullet. IR35 has to be considered whether you have one client or five.

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
                      Move to Romania(part of EEA, no VAT), corp tax is 2-3%, cost of life is 1/3 of here. Weather is nice with hot summers, snow in winters.
                      Mountains and seaside at 2h distance. Infrastructure is a bit poor and people are a bit difficult sometimes.
                      Stick to a good accountant.
                      All great until the sunlit uplands when you suddenly find that you're an exporter of services to a country outside the EU.
                      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                      X