• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Financial Services London - Are all us BA_PMs obsolete? What next?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ascender View Post
    So getting an Agile cert and branding yourself as an Agile PM/Scrum Master seems to make sense unless you're really working as a true scrum master.
    Get it for the ticket.

Without a ticket, you can't even get in.

nomsayin'

Comment

Originally posted by ascender View Post
      Agile is clearly the buzzword of the moment,
      Buzzword of the last century you mean?
      Agile is norm since the 2000s!

Comment

Originally posted by BritishLad88 View Post
        Buzzword of the last century you mean?
        Agile is norm since the 2000s!
        It may be in your industry, in my pond I’m making good money out of the general bafflement of applying agile and DevOps to the BAU world...
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
          It may be in your industry, in my pond I’m making good money out of the general bafflement of applying agile and DevOps to the BAU world...
          Sure thing!

I guess your industry must be finance

Comment

Sure thing!

I guess your industry must be finance
            It isn't - you would be surprised how slow the rest of the world moves with the times..
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

DevOps roles seems to be one of the few that seems to be weathering the IR35 storm currently based on what I'm seeing out in the market.

Comment

Originally posted by LordAsriel View Post
                DevOps roles seems to be one of the few that seems to be weathering the IR35 storm currently based on what I'm seeing out in the market.
                probably because DevOps is a new concept hasn't gone that mainstream yet. there is ever higher demand for DevOps skills but yet don't have enough people out there who are skilled in this field to meet the demand.

Comment

probably because DevOps is a new concept hasn't gone that mainstream yet. there is ever higher demand for DevOps skills but yet don't have enough people out there who are skilled in this field to meet the demand.
                  Also that management in companies don't know a great deal about it so there's less scope for SDC.

Comment

I had a new team of young BAs working for me a few years ago. All relatively new graduates with less than a year's work experience. They were on a two year scheme with a big IT Services supplier to train them them up to become fully fledged BAs whilst working for my end client at the time. They also did some BA certifications plus ones in Agile etc in that time.

Just over four years later and two of them are already Product Managers in fast growth companies, before they hit 26. I also worked at a FTSE100 company (my last perm role about seven years ago) and again saw a few of the bright young things go down a similar path.

I don't think BAs and PMs are going to be 'obsolete' any time soon, even in FS, but I think these examples are an illustration that the market is shifting (contract or perm.) If you combine personal and professional development, it can open new doors for you, especially those who are already more experienced than the types of people above.

Comment

Originally posted by edison View Post
                      Just over four years later and two of them are already Product Managers in fast growth companies, before they hit 26. I also worked at a FTSE100 company (my last perm role about seven years ago) and again saw a few of the bright young things go down a similar path.
                      A company i used to work for exactly had this kind of stuff. They viewed the BAs role as junior/bottom of the ladder and PM (Product Managers)/PO (Product Owners) are at the top. They see a BA natural progression is to get promoted to a PM/PO.

Indeed, the market has shifted a bit. in an agile world, BA role still exist but merely just an entry position. However, for a non-agile world (in particular in FS) BAs are still regarded as the top of the class.

That's because in a non-agile world there's no concept of 'Products' hence no requirement for PM (Product Manager)/PO - but rather they focus on 'Projects' instead, therefore in those environments they have BAs/PM < Project Managers

Comment

Working...
                      X