Financial Services London - Are all us BA_PMs obsolete? What next? Financial Services London - Are all us BA_PMs obsolete? What next? - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 38
  1. #21

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ascender View Post
    So getting an Agile cert and branding yourself as an Agile PM/Scrum Master seems to make sense unless you're really working as a true scrum master.
    Get it for the ticket.

    Without a ticket, you can't even get in.

    nomsayin'

  2. #22

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    London
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ascender View Post
    Agile is clearly the buzzword of the moment,
    Buzzword of the last century you mean?
    Agile is norm since the 2000s!

  3. #23

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    20,199

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BritishLad88 View Post
    Buzzword of the last century you mean?
    Agile is norm since the 2000s!
    It may be in your industry, in my pond I’m making good money out of the general bafflement of applying agile and DevOps to the BAU world...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

  4. #24

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    London
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    It may be in your industry, in my pond I’m making good money out of the general bafflement of applying agile and DevOps to the BAU world...
    Sure thing!

    I guess your industry must be finance

  5. #25

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    24,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BritishLad88 View Post
    Sure thing!

    I guess your industry must be finance
    It isn't - you would be surprised how slow the rest of the world moves with the times..
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  6. #26

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    13

    Default

    DevOps roles seems to be one of the few that seems to be weathering the IR35 storm currently based on what I'm seeing out in the market.

  7. #27

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    London
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LordAsriel View Post
    DevOps roles seems to be one of the few that seems to be weathering the IR35 storm currently based on what I'm seeing out in the market.
    probably because DevOps is a new concept hasn't gone that mainstream yet. there is ever higher demand for DevOps skills but yet don't have enough people out there who are skilled in this field to meet the demand.

  8. #28

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    In a permanent state of hatred for orange goblins.
    Posts
    383

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BritishLad88 View Post
    probably because DevOps is a new concept hasn't gone that mainstream yet. there is ever higher demand for DevOps skills but yet don't have enough people out there who are skilled in this field to meet the demand.
    Also that management in companies don't know a great deal about it so there's less scope for SDC.

  9. #29

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    374

    Default

    I had a new team of young BAs working for me a few years ago. All relatively new graduates with less than a year's work experience. They were on a two year scheme with a big IT Services supplier to train them them up to become fully fledged BAs whilst working for my end client at the time. They also did some BA certifications plus ones in Agile etc in that time.

    Just over four years later and two of them are already Product Managers in fast growth companies, before they hit 26. I also worked at a FTSE100 company (my last perm role about seven years ago) and again saw a few of the bright young things go down a similar path.

    I don't think BAs and PMs are going to be 'obsolete' any time soon, even in FS, but I think these examples are an illustration that the market is shifting (contract or perm.) If you combine personal and professional development, it can open new doors for you, especially those who are already more experienced than the types of people above.

  10. #30

    Should post faster


    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Location
    London
    Posts
    131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by edison View Post
    Just over four years later and two of them are already Product Managers in fast growth companies, before they hit 26. I also worked at a FTSE100 company (my last perm role about seven years ago) and again saw a few of the bright young things go down a similar path.
    A company i used to work for exactly had this kind of stuff. They viewed the BAs role as junior/bottom of the ladder and PM (Product Managers)/PO (Product Owners) are at the top. They see a BA natural progression is to get promoted to a PM/PO.

    Indeed, the market has shifted a bit. in an agile world, BA role still exist but merely just an entry position. However, for a non-agile world (in particular in FS) BAs are still regarded as the top of the class.

    That's because in a non-agile world there's no concept of 'Products' hence no requirement for PM (Product Manager)/PO - but rather they focus on 'Projects' instead, therefore in those environments they have BAs/PM < Project Managers

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •