• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Asked what's your day rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asked what's your day rate?

I've been in discussion via a business related social networking platform about a project with a non-agent customer. They're keen to setup a call, however I'm being asked my day rate. This is a successful retailer in London, not cash strapped indy bookshop only selling niche manuals on vintage bike repair. on the outskirts of Llandudno.

Would you put down your cards and just show your numbers? £500 600, 700? Risk of course is you either price yourself out or cheap yourself in. My skills/background should hold the inherent value and if it's purely a numbers game I might suggest a trip down to B+M Home Bargains for IT devs. Either way, they're probably making a direct approach to save on recruiters £££££££££££

Gut instinct is to have the call first, then discuss the rate...
    Last edited by ApeShape; 10 February 2020, 14:49.

So you have a good idea what the role entails, what the project is, the timeline for delivery, where you will be working, whether the role is out/in.

Then really you ought to be able to put together a detailed cost estimate, like a proper business quote for the work, rather than pluck a rate out of the air...

Comment

WLMS

or say between 600 and 850 dependant on commercial factors.

Where 600 is next door to home, turn up when you want, all expenses paid and weekly payments.
      And 850 is 200 miles away, on site 3 days a week, no expenses and monthly payments.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

It is a negotiation, ask them to show their hand first then take it from there.
        Considering the cost and effort of finding someone else they might be more inclined to reveal a better range.
        If they have plenty to choose from they are looking for the cheapest but then depends on how much you want it.
        They might ask for contact details afterwards to put you down a bit over the phone than ask for the rate. Have a reasonable figure in mind and a nice to have one and then based on how it looks throw the one out that seems more appropriate.
        But you are the only person knowing your circumstances.

Comment

Work it out. What will it cost YourCo to do the contract. What do you need in your bank account at the end of the month to pay the bills. Add 40% to cover the taxes. Add the cost of travel and accommodation. You now have a minimum rate.

Add 50% to make a profit giving the minimum acceptable rate. The gap between that and adding 100% is your negotiation space.

You're a business. Think like one.
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
            It is a negotiation, ask them to show their hand first then take it from there.
            Considering the cost and effort of finding someone else they might be more inclined to reveal a better range.
            If they have plenty to choose from they are looking for the cheapest but then depends on how much you want it.
            They might ask for contact details afterwards to put you down a bit over the phone than ask for the rate. Have a reasonable figure in mind and a nice to have one and then based on how it looks throw the one out that seems more appropriate.
            But you are the only person knowing your circumstances.
            This is an approach to contracting I can't stand. People please please treat this as a business to business engagement. Ladymuck had it absolutely spot on. You have all the details you need in order to put a quote together. Operate like a business and put a quote together!!

Comment

Originally posted by DevUK View Post
              This is an approach to contracting I can't stand.!
              https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...t=#post2728423

really?
              a bit of a conflict here, no??

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...t=#post2728423

really?
                a bit of a conflict here, no??
                Where's the conflict? What are you talking about?

Comment

you say you haven't contracted for decades, and you're telling people they're doing it wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                    you say you haven't contracted for decades, and you're telling people they're doing it wrong?
                    Rather tenuous argument, that one, isn't it.

You don't need to have done something for decades to have an opinion on how it should be done. 4 years is enough time for me to form an opinion thanks.

Keep digging about in my profile if you have the spare time, there might be a genuine 'conflict' you can find.

Comment

Working...
                    X