• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract to Perm

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
    Agree, market is bad atm.
    But in my book consultancy is worse then permi with client.

Unless you know the consultancy, know where they are sending you, know what you are in for.

It will be an unnecessary level of management that would like to get their money worth and considering that there are isn’t an work environment that they could upset, it is more likely for them to get nasty.

You’ll be asked more likely to support additional projects that if you don’t go along with, will get bad reviews and get stuck with crap work.

Maybe it is just me that sees them this way but it is business as usual and nobody is paying you extra for nothing.
    Agreed. And likely you wont know who you are working for or where - at least not in medium/long term.

Consultancy - sounds glamourous - but the kind of companies that typically use consultants are not the kind of companies you want to work for. And thats effectively what you are doing working for a consultancy. Indirectly working for an undesireable company. Often in frustratingly dysfunctional environments.

Thats part of the flaw in IR35. Consultancies are relying on paying premium rates to contractors to get them to work for them with these undesireable clients. How many will want to now even with a salary of £80k (£4,578 net pm). As a higher rate tax payer. There wont be that much difference net per month than £65k (£3,853). £700 extra per month for having your soul destroyed - Is it worth it?

Unfortunately in perm to get 30% more salary than usual market rates its either consultancy or finance industry. Unless you can get a very senior role outside these 2 arenas.

Comment

Going from £450/day to £80k pa is pretty good.

I can't get a £80k salary. I tried to switch to perm and highest offer was at 65k, ended up taking another contract at £500/day outside.

Comment

outside where?

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
          outside where?
          Tesco, washing cars

Comment

Working...
          X