• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will more jobs be outsourced to India after Rishi Sunak is the Chancellor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    Absolutely. You can not compete with someone who is willing to work for 30-40k salary. its a race to the bottom.
    Spot on its just not a level playing field if your born in the UK & want to continue to work in IT. I have plenty of 2nd & 3rd generation british born indian friends who more than most absolutely hate how this is destroying their own liveliehoods!!

Comment

The only chink of light in this issue is that, since India's economy has been growing at close on 10% per annum for the last decade or more, salary expectations and cost of living among professionals has increased significantly, meaning that the huge profit margin for the outsourcers that may have existed in the 2000s is much narrower now. So either they charge more, making them less attractive to businesses, or they get cheaper crapper people in which will have the same effect in the long term.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
        You can live just fine on 30-40K outside of the South East and a few other hotspots, but securing a role when competition just multiplied by x1000 could prove trickier, then you find employers aren't willing to offer 30-40k, it will be a lot less than that.

Simple supply and demand.
        employers will offer no more than £25,600 because that's exactly how low workers will be willing to take and will be needing in order to get a visa.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
          The only chink of light in this issue is that, since India's economy has been growing at close on 10% per annum for the last decade or more, salary expectations and cost of living among professionals has increased significantly, meaning that the huge profit margin for the outsourcers that may have existed in the 2000s is much narrower now. So either they charge more, making them less attractive to businesses, or they get cheaper crapper people in which will have the same effect in the long term.
          While this is largely true ( by the way Indian economy is lugging around 6% ), they have found a work around.

1. Bring in 1 or 2 freshers (e.g 2 or 3 years experienced).
          - They would be happy to fly as it could be their first time outside their country.
          2. Hire an experienced local contractor in the UK
          3. "Shadow" him/her so that you learn what and how things are done.
          4. After 3 to 6 months local contractor services are no longer required.
          5. Outsource back to India at a much more cost effective rate.

Comment

Had one gig at one of those sweatshops years ago. Long hours, very low pay, incompetent management who treats you like a peasant. I was doing all the heavy lifting while brown kids brought in on visa were doing f**k all. They were completely useless.
            5 months in I got fed up with being India's little bitch, so I made the source code way more difficult to read (there were no tests, no code review stage, only Mr Senior QA Engineer straight from school with 4 months coding experience ). Also made the code inefficient and unmaintainable. It was an important project for them (high-profile endclient) so I terminated 1 month before the final deadline to show them the middle finger. Kids had no idea how to carry on with the project, and the whole thing collapsed.
            I was sitting at home drinking wine, reading their company news and watching their stock price crash. It was beautiful.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesBrown11 View Post
              Had one gig at one of those sweatshops years ago. Long hours, very low pay, incompetent management who treats you like a peasant. I was doing all the heavy lifting while brown kids brought in on visa were doing f**k all. They were completely useless.
              5 months in I got fed up with being India's little bitch, so I made the source code way more difficult to read (there were no tests, no code review stage, only Mr Senior QA Engineer straight from school with 4 months coding experience ). Also made the code inefficient and unmaintainable. It was an important project for them (high-profile endclient) so I terminated 1 month before the final deadline to show them the middle finger. Kids had no idea how to carry on with the project, and the whole thing collapsed.
              I was sitting at home drinking wine, reading their company news and watching their stock price crash. It was beautiful.
              Result!

Comment

Hope you shorted it to make more money than if you'd stuck it out.

Also hope you have insurance in case they come after you.

Though hopefully the code still works just requires an advanced level of intellect to touch it.
                Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

You'll be surprised by the upcoming Brexit how many more jobs will go to India...

It still amuses me when I remember that almost 100% of the contractors (including the Indians) at my previous job voted for Brexit. I guess I won't have much sympathy for them when they start losing their fancy houses...which is quite real

Comment

You are a pompous ass if you think understanding source code (however complicated) is rocket science. With enough time a monkey can decode your stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by uk contractor View Post
                      Spot on its just not a level playing field if your born in the UK & want to continue to work in IT. I have plenty of 2nd & 3rd generation british born indian friends who more than most absolutely hate how this is destroying their own liveliehoods!!
                      thats the way they got here. And now they have a problem.

Comment

Working...
                      X