• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Will more jobs be outsourced to India after Rishi Sunak is the Chancellor?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I seem to recall Liam Fox going to India in search of a trade deal and more or less being told they would want increased immigration into the UK from India before it went any further.

Unfortunately immigration isn't just a hot political topic in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
      I seem to recall Liam Fox going to India in search of a trade deal and more or less being told they would want increased immigration into the UK from India before it went any further.

Unfortunately immigration isn't just a hot political topic in the UK.
      What an odd thing to request, why on earth would you require a country to take your brightest and best as part of a trade deal.

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
        What an odd thing to request, why on earth would you require a country to take your brightest and best as part of a trade deal.
        That's said with irony, right?

Comment

Originally posted by PlanB View Post
          What an optimism? Here is some one thinking they will be receiving the brightest and best

Comment

Originally posted by BigDataPro View Post
            While this is largely true ( by the way Indian economy is lugging around 6% ), they have found a work around.

1. Bring in 1 or 2 freshers (e.g 2 or 3 years experienced).
            - They would be happy to fly as it could be their first time outside their country.
            2. Hire an experienced local contractor in the UK
            3. "Shadow" him/her so that you learn what and how things are done.
            4. After 3 to 6 months local contractor services are no longer required.
            5. Outsource back to India at a much more cost effective rate.
            One of the big Indian consultancies tried that with me. I was contracted to a client project but on a site where the consultancy had a large base of their own employees. They then tried to get me involved int their "mentoring" programme. In effect, they wanted me to train the junior consultants they had on site, kept inviting me to staff meetings, centre of excellence meetings etc.

I refused to play the game as it was not part of my contract, which was to provide services for the project.

Comment

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
              thats the way they got here. And now they have a problem.
              Big difference is they came here to settle & contribute not take what they could & go back home with it!

Comment

Indeed. Must be one of the most unprofessional things I've heard of.

Comment

Originally posted by Snooky View Post
                  The only chink of light in this issue is that, since India's economy has been growing at close on 10% per annum for the last decade or more, salary expectations and cost of living among professionals has increased significantly, meaning that the huge profit margin for the outsourcers that may have existed in the 2000s is much narrower now. So either they charge more, making them less attractive to businesses, or they get cheaper crapper people in which will have the same effect in the long term.
                  I am afraid that India and Middle East where many Asians work, are also feeling a pinch.
                  Asia Times | Indian IT workers facing massive layoffs | Article

Current GDP growth in India stands at mere 4-5% and is expected to stay low in 2020. And even this number is called into question. Last year it became common knowledge that Indian calculation methodology is extremely unreliable. It includes assumed positive turnover for de facto dormant companies. Look for many youtube videos about fake Indian GDP, for instance this one:

YouTube

The situation is grim, and UK may in fact succumb to 'Guptaisation'. All white collar jobs in UK are up for grabs, especially those susceptible to newspeak job description, where sky is the limit.
                  If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Don't count on Rishi to scrap IR35. Remember, he is a stooge. Most likely, Dominic has already taken the decision to go all-out against contractors. They need the dough to finance their spending spree.

And never underestimate the lobbying power that Rishi's father-in-law and owner of InfoSys will have on him.

In one word, Rishi is a much worse outcome for us contractors than Javid was.

Comment

What people are forgetting is that companies already know the way Infosys et al work.

Had to convert legacy Infosys code to a more modern architecture in one gig. Infosys code had been there for close to 15 years plus. Absolute pile of garbage, sod all documentation, tests were utterly pointless. Client had been paying them to patch the code, provide support for years, had been gouged badly.

Most companies won't want to repeat the mistakes of offshoring.

Using consultancies wtih a British base on site is a different matter.

Comment

Working...
                      X