• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Whats your most competitive rate?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats your most competitive rate?

Just had a recruiter call.

Rec: Blah Blah this is the role -start Monday. Whats your most competitive rate?
    Me: Inside or Outside?
    Rec: Hasnt been decided its up to you. Which would you prefer?
    Me: Outside and this is my rate
    Rec: Ok Ill discuss with my manager and get back to you

So you've had a pretty standard opening from an agent... What is your question?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 17 February 2020, 13:44.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      So you've had a pretty standard opening from an agent... What is your question?

Or will you be relaying every conversation you have with the agent with us?
      Standard for you. Never for me

Comment

Originally posted by tsmith View Post
        Standard for you. Never for me
        At least it wasn't the opt in/out question for a change
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Agent: "... also this client likes to get a reference before interviewing anybody, so can you just give me two contacts you have worked for and -"

Contractor: "I'll give references later on in the process, after the interview"

Agent: "ah well this client likes to have references all checked out beforehand you see, and -"

Contractor: "I value my previous clients and don't want them disturbed until it is really necessary, so I will do it after the interview"

Agent: "okay. Well they will almost certainly reject your CV then, you happy to go ahead?"

Contractor: "yes, fine".

Agent: "Okay. can you give me the name of a techy you have worked with, just for a technical reference, you understand, and..."

...continues on page 94.

Comment

Originally posted by unixman View Post
            Agent: "... also this client likes to get a reference before interviewing anybody, so can you just give me two contacts you have worked for and -"

Contractor: "I'll give references later on in the process, after the interview"

Agent: "ah well this client likes to have references all checked out beforehand you see, and -"

Contractor: "I value my previous clients and don't want them disturbed until it is really necessary, so I will do it after the interview"

Agent: "okay. Well they will almost certainly reject your CV then, you happy to go ahead?"

Contractor: "yes, fine".

Agent: "Okay. can you give me the name of a techy you have worked with, just for a technical reference, you understand, and..."

...continues on page 94.
            Thats the upside of perm of course. No more of that nonsense. Well once every 2 years when you have to keep quitting and moving to get a pay rise

Comment

I was entertaining some pretty competitive rates this summer I can tell you
              ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

When they ask for a technical reference, I tell them sure, none of the hiring managers are technical, but I've got a mate called jim that I did some work with 10 years ago, he's retired now but I can give you his number?

Comment

Originally posted by PerfectStorm View Post
                  I was entertaining some pretty competitive rates this summer I can tell you
                  Indeed!

Resisted all of them and did volunteer work locally instead whilst waiting it out. Does wonders for the mental health
                  Permietractor (probably)

Comment

Originally posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
                    When they ask for a technical reference, I tell them sure, none of the hiring managers are technical, but I've got a mate called jim that I did some work with 10 years ago, he's retired now but I can give you his number?
                    Stuff that. They get a fellow contractor who I've got arseholed with many a time and will make me sound more tech savvy than the whole of Google's R&D team put together.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X