Whats your most competitive rate? Whats your most competitive rate?
Posts 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    55

    Default Whats your most competitive rate?

    Just had a recruiter call.

    Rec: Blah Blah this is the role -start Monday. Whats your most competitive rate?
    Me: Inside or Outside?
    Rec: Hasnt been decided its up to you. Which would you prefer?
    Me: Outside and this is my rate
    Rec: Ok Ill discuss with my manager and get back to you

  2. #2

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    42,739

    Default

    So you've had a pretty standard opening from an agent... What is your question?
    Last edited by northernladuk; 17th February 2020 at 13:44.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  3. #3

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    So you've had a pretty standard opening from an agent... What is your question?

    Or will you be relaying every conversation you have with the agent with us?
    Standard for you. Never for me

  4. #4

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    42,739

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tsmith View Post
    Standard for you. Never for me
    At least it wasn't the opt in/out question for a change
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  5. #5

    Contractor Among Contractors

    unixman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    1,485

    Default

    Agent: "... also this client likes to get a reference before interviewing anybody, so can you just give me two contacts you have worked for and -"

    Contractor: "I'll give references later on in the process, after the interview"

    Agent: "ah well this client likes to have references all checked out beforehand you see, and -"

    Contractor: "I value my previous clients and don't want them disturbed until it is really necessary, so I will do it after the interview"

    Agent: "okay. Well they will almost certainly reject your CV then, you happy to go ahead?"

    Contractor: "yes, fine".

    Agent: "Okay. can you give me the name of a techy you have worked with, just for a technical reference, you understand, and..."

    ...continues on page 94.

  6. #6

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by unixman View Post
    Agent: "... also this client likes to get a reference before interviewing anybody, so can you just give me two contacts you have worked for and -"

    Contractor: "I'll give references later on in the process, after the interview"

    Agent: "ah well this client likes to have references all checked out beforehand you see, and -"

    Contractor: "I value my previous clients and don't want them disturbed until it is really necessary, so I will do it after the interview"

    Agent: "okay. Well they will almost certainly reject your CV then, you happy to go ahead?"

    Contractor: "yes, fine".

    Agent: "Okay. can you give me the name of a techy you have worked with, just for a technical reference, you understand, and..."

    ...continues on page 94.
    Thats the upside of perm of course. No more of that nonsense. Well once every 2 years when you have to keep quitting and moving to get a pay rise

  7. #7

    Contractor Among Contractors

    PerfectStorm's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Yes, I have asked my accountant.
    Posts
    1,221

    Default

    I was entertaining some pretty competitive rates this summer I can tell you

  8. #8

    More time posting than coding

    FIERCE TANK BATTLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Posts
    226

    Default

    When they ask for a technical reference, I tell them sure, none of the hiring managers are technical, but I've got a mate called jim that I did some work with 10 years ago, he's retired now but I can give you his number?

  9. #9

    Should post faster

    Mephisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Lancashire and Londinium currently
    Posts
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PerfectStorm View Post
    I was entertaining some pretty competitive rates this summer I can tell you
    Indeed!

    Resisted all of them and did volunteer work locally instead whilst waiting it out. Does wonders for the mental health
    Permietractor (probably)

  10. #10

    Double Godlike!


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Work-life balance nirvana
    Posts
    10,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FIERCE TANK BATTLE View Post
    When they ask for a technical reference, I tell them sure, none of the hiring managers are technical, but I've got a mate called jim that I did some work with 10 years ago, he's retired now but I can give you his number?
    Stuff that. They get a fellow contractor who I've got arseholed with many a time and will make me sound more tech savvy than the whole of Google's R&D team put together.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •