• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Separate contract for handover?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Separate contract for handover?

Contract was set to run until the end of this month. Work on the system is largely complete bar a few fixes.

However, they now want me to stay another month, rewrite and plump out the documentation (argh), and do a handover to some internal person who will maintain the system.

Actually they are happy to do a new contract covering just the handover, recognising that it's not of a piece with what went before.

Per the recent HMRC announcement that "Changes to the operation of the off-payroll working rules will only apply to payments made for services provided on or after 6 April 2020", this seems OK.

Anyone been in a similar boat, anything to consider? These impending changes are making me second-guess more than usual.

You need a determination before you start. If they are willing to give you an outside one then you are golden. Nothing else to worry about.

If it's just a month then the risk on them is insignificant to say the least so shouldnt be any barriers to an outside determination.

In fact. If you could keep the role details the same, tap them up for an outside then all your outside history is secured as well taking another worry off the table.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      In fact. If you could keep the role details the same, tap them up for an outside then all your outside history is secured as well taking another worry off the table.
      Good plan!

Comment

It is definitely good to have a new contract. That helps demonstrate lack of SDC, they couldn't move you to this new task without a new contract. That's a win for both the new contract and your previous one.

Contra NLUK, you do not need a determination statement, and they probably don't want to do one for a mere one month. The work will be completed before 6 April and so will be outside the scope of the new rules. You will only need that if they want to extend you again.

I would set the payment date for this new one-month contract as 1 April. Get it done and dusted. The excuse is that since the legislation still hasn't been implemented, that ensures that whether it is based on work date or payment date you and they are in the clear. That's the excuse. The real reason is so you get your money quickly.

edit: Since you are doing a different task that wasn't in the original contract, you do NOT want the role details to be the same. You would then be doing work not specified in the contract, and that would generate significant risk if it came out in an investigation. I understand the idea but it wasn't well thought through.
        Last edited by WordIsBond; 19 February 2020, 08:42.

Comment

Always separate, unless the handover is one of the deliverables of the original contract. Working practices, though, can vary considerably when switching from delivery to handover - documentation can be done from anywhere at any time of day, for example.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Is there any value to asking the agency whether they or any of the parties in the contract chain (there are another two) have done an SD(S) or even preparatory steps into determining the IR35 status of the contract, or spelling out contractually that they need to tell me if this happens?

I'm minded to think that it's just asking for trouble, indeed, asking for an excuse, perhaps, to be unable to sign the extension...on the other hand now is exactly the time to be making demands.

Comment

You could, but I probably wouldn't bother. You could, I suppose, before agreeing ask client to confirm that no SDS will be done and notify the others, due to the contract ending before April.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
                You could, but I probably wouldn't bother. You could, I suppose, before agreeing ask client to confirm that no SDS will be done and notify the others, due to the contract ending before April.
                I’ll chuck it back in the agency’s court.

‘Please certify on the extension schedule that no status determination has been done or is planned because the contract is ending before April, and let the other parties know of this

Or

Commit to ensuring final payment reaches me by latest 1st April

Whichever you prefer.’

That covers it without asking for an explicit yes-no.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

Originally posted by zerosum View Post
                  Commit to ensuring final payment reaches me by latest 1st April
                  You know the rules on this have changed? Doesn't matter when you get paid now as long as the work was done before April.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    You know the rules on this have changed? Doesn't matter when you get paid now as long as the work was done before April.
                    I had read about this. But I'm struggling to reconcile it with the fact, discussed in various threads, that HMRC will probably make their unofficial 'low-hanging fruit ranking' by comparing March and April agency reports.

Comment

Working...
                    X