• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jury service insurance for umbrellas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jury service insurance for umbrellas

Hi all,
    Looking for some inspiration here. I get called up for jury service what feels like every other month. So far, I've gotten out of it, but it's only a matter of time before I my please for exemption falls on deaf ears.

Qdos jury insurance only covers ltd company directors, not umbrella employees, which feels like a bit of a gap in the market right now.

Anyone know of any cover for umbrella employees?

Regards,
    Andy

Unlikely as you are a permie now

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

You are an employee now. Ask your employer what the best way to handle it is.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

chuck a brick through an estate agent's window.
        get arrested, pay the fine.
        no more jury service.
        sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by blakeyuk View Post
          Hi all,
          Looking for some inspiration here. I get called up for jury service what feels like every other month. So far, I've gotten out of it, but it's only a matter of time before I my please for exemption falls on deaf ears.

Qdos jury insurance only covers ltd company directors, not umbrella employees, which feels like a bit of a gap in the market right now.

Regards,
          Andy
          As you're an employee why would you look to get insurance?

Comment

I hear the clunk of the penny dropping

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Comment

There is no legal obligation for an employer to pay for you to attend jury service.

Jury service | Acas advice and guidance | Acas

Therefore, your umbrella company is under no obligation to pay you. If you are having deductions taken for holiday pay then you can claim that back.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post
                chuck a brick through an estate agent's window.
                get arrested, pay the fine.
                no more jury service.
                sorted.
                While the brash simplicity of this solution appeals to me greatly, and understanding there is some humour to contend with, would this not then mean one has a criminal record?

Which would then adversely affect applications for future hires?

Only asking as I really do like the idea.

Comment

Originally posted by simes View Post
                  While the brash simplicity of this solution appeals to me greatly, and understanding there is some humour to contend with, would this not then mean one has a criminal record?

Which would then adversely affect applications for future hires?

Only asking as I really do like the idea.
                  Only roles that require a clean record. If every role was only available to people who had never been caught breaking the law, unemployment would be a lot higher ...

Comment

Originally posted by blakeyuk View Post
                    Hi all,

Regards,
                    Andy
                    IPSE?

I’m not sure you need to be a LTD. for IPSE membership.
                    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
                    X