Jury service insurance for umbrellas Jury service insurance for umbrellas
Posts 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    33

    Default Jury service insurance for umbrellas

    Hi all,
    Looking for some inspiration here. I get called up for jury service what feels like every other month. So far, I've gotten out of it, but it's only a matter of time before I my please for exemption falls on deaf ears.

    Qdos jury insurance only covers ltd company directors, not umbrella employees, which feels like a bit of a gap in the market right now.

    Anyone know of any cover for umbrella employees?

    Regards,
    Andy

  2. #2

    Default

    Unlikely as you are a permie now


    Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

  3. #3

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    44,259

    Default

    You are an employee now. Ask your employer what the best way to handle it is.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  4. #4

    Double Godlike!

    BR14's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Under your kitchen sink
    Posts
    11,619

    Default

    chuck a brick through an estate agent's window.
    get arrested, pay the fine.
    no more jury service.
    sorted.
    Entropy is NOT what it used to be.
    Inertia, however........................

  5. #5

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    In a permanent state of hatred for orange goblins.
    Posts
    495

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blakeyuk View Post
    Hi all,
    Looking for some inspiration here. I get called up for jury service what feels like every other month. So far, I've gotten out of it, but it's only a matter of time before I my please for exemption falls on deaf ears.

    Qdos jury insurance only covers ltd company directors, not umbrella employees, which feels like a bit of a gap in the market right now.

    Anyone know of any cover for umbrella employees?

    Regards,
    Andy
    As you're an employee why would you look to get insurance?

  6. #6

    Default

    I hear the clunk of the penny dropping


    Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

  7. #7

    Double Godlike!

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    11,331

    Default

    There is no legal obligation for an employer to pay for you to attend jury service.

    Jury service | Acas advice and guidance | Acas

    Therefore, your umbrella company is under no obligation to pay you. If you are having deductions taken for holiday pay then you can claim that back.

  8. #8

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,015

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BR14 View Post
    chuck a brick through an estate agent's window.
    get arrested, pay the fine.
    no more jury service.
    sorted.
    While the brash simplicity of this solution appeals to me greatly, and understanding there is some humour to contend with, would this not then mean one has a criminal record?

    Which would then adversely affect applications for future hires?

    Only asking as I really do like the idea.

  9. #9

    Double Godlike!

    ladymuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    London
    Posts
    11,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simes View Post
    While the brash simplicity of this solution appeals to me greatly, and understanding there is some humour to contend with, would this not then mean one has a criminal record?

    Which would then adversely affect applications for future hires?

    Only asking as I really do like the idea.
    Only roles that require a clean record. If every role was only available to people who had never been caught breaking the law, unemployment would be a lot higher ...

  10. #10

    Godlike

    Lance's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    home
    Posts
    5,287

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by blakeyuk View Post
    Hi all,
    Looking for some inspiration here. I get called up for jury service what feels like every other month. So far, I've gotten out of it, but it's only a matter of time before I my please for exemption falls on deaf ears.

    Qdos jury insurance only covers ltd company directors, not umbrella employees, which feels like a bit of a gap in the market right now.

    Anyone know of any cover for umbrella employees?

    Regards,
    Andy
    IPSE?

    I’m not sure you need to be a LTD. for IPSE membership.
    See You Next Tuesday

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •